Helmut Weitze

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Japanese flags came into the shop today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milton,

No, I am not, nor was I ever interested in purchasing your flags, sorry. Just seems to be the way lately with people vetting their wares to get approval and some discussion on the piece so they can use it as a selling point when it moves the estand. Look---it was blessed in this thread!!

I didn't really give you a thumbs up or down, simply stated they looked nice and was actually being polite when asking about the die run on the Army. You stated yourself in that long-running block that you understand why collectors hesitate with all the fakes out there and these flags are still made in Japan, even today. I know, as I used to see them in shops while I was stationed there and guys I know over there now still see them for sale as well.

Using paragraphs are much easier on the reader btw. Enjoy your flags my friend, as long as your happy with them.

Comment

The original poster does seem to be a bit sensitive and obviously unwilling to admit that the flags might be post-war. In fact, the Navy flag looks suspiciously modern despite the fact that it was a veteran purchase. As if vets never bought post-war items...

It's hard to accept that one's cool WW2 item might be a modern piece, but most of us have probably had that experience--just need to suck it up and move on.

BTW the 'prayer' flag should more properly be called a 'draft' flag since it was made for the soldier upon being called up for service.

Comment

Thanks again for your comments guys. And yes, it's happened before (I once picked up some nice items along w/ capture papers from an ETO vet, and one the items that I never paid much attention to, (a small Kriegsflag that I simply tucked away) turned out to be a high quality knock off (probably from the '70s) THAT was a surprise, but just goes to show, that even the vets themselves weren't unknown to pick up the odd "piece" here and there long after the fact. I don't dispute that anything's possible, only that I find it a bit disturbing that we've all become so cautious because of the myriad fakery out there that even the smallest details that aren't "textbook" become reason for suspicion, and I'm as guilty of it as anyone (although I try hard not to be!). What I miss most though, is the rapidly vanishing opportunity to buy directly from the vets themselves. In the last year and a half of advertising, I've met only TWO living vets. All too often, the history of the items die with them and that's truly sad. Regarding the navy flag, I believe that the "leather" corner ties are actually pigskin (which I'd expect more than leather anyway). From experience I tend to encounter small personal flags w/ pressed paper corner ties which must have been much more common. Thx!
        Last edited by Milton; 06-13-2010, 11:34 AM.

Comment

On a final note regarding the IJN flag that a few of you have qustioned, if I may...other than it appearing "too new-looking", what particular details of its construction lead to your presumption(s) that it may be a post-war example? I don't personally own "Mike's" flag book yet, (but will obviously have to pick one up).

I'd like to know if it's the pattern of stitching / pigskin material/ (both?) or simply the nice clean appearance of the flag itself that lead you to draw this conclusion. Most of these small flags I've come across in the past, have, as I mentioned earlier, had paper corner reinforcements, but the pattern of triangular stiching has always looked pretty much the same, if memory serves.

Over the years, I've owned a few original "unissued" items, procured during or directly after the war by vets from captured supply depots, warehouses, etc, as have, I assume, quite a few of you, so conclusions based on condition alone are, in my opinion, not necessarily sufficient to base a true assesment of an items legitimacy-TOTAL lack of any age alone notwithstanding.

So I'd be very interested in hearing some details pertaining to the flag in question if any of you gents would care to share, and would be happy to post more photos if necessary while it's still in my posession. As far as the IJA and "draft" flag are concerned, I have every confidence that they're nice period originals. Thx!

Comment

...Anybody??

Comment

Have you hit them with a UV blacklight? Pull a loose strand to do a burn test,to see if it balls up like nylon(post war), ashes-up and smells of burnt paper like cotton/rayon(ok,war production) or ashes and smells like burnt hair(silk,pre war).

Comment

Thanks Scott. I'm pretty positive that it's not polyester (I believe I've seen enough of that particular material over the years to be able to tell the difference). Black light is also a good idea, but sometimes even original items that someone washed at some point will glow due to the chemicals present in detergents, etc. Some good ideas regarding period "cloth" in general, however, and thanks for taking the time to comment! Milto.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X