No announcement yet.

Japanese sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While your photos are pretty good, there is still a lot more that needs to be seen before making a determination. The blade is Japanese-like, but does not really appear to be Japanese. Definitely does not resemble a Samurai era blade in any way, except for the presence of a Habaki. Add to that the fact that the Tsuba and Kashira also could be older Japanese, but also just happen to be very mediocre and without any balance or tasteful design to them.

Of course, there are Japanese swords that are authentic, but very cheaply done. Maybe some good shots of the Habaki would help. The Chinese fakers rarely get the Habaki looking right, and even a poor Japanese blade usually has a Habaki with a Japanese look to it.

Comment

one thing ive learned about Japanese swords, never say never, blade could have been in D guard mounts, maybe why kashira has what looks like a screw mount, its up to the owner if he want to take it to the limit of knowing.

Comment

In "Military Swords of Japan 1868-1945" by Richard Fuller and the late Ron Gregory, there is a few pics of a blade mounted in this style. I believe that it was done so to save on important materials and speed up the "need" for these on the field. Dunno...my book's on my book, but I'm too lazy to get up and get it, so.....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X