griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first Japanese Flag! Should I be happy?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to watch that drama series and don't mind the absence of subtitles, here it is up to episode 5, which takes you up to just after the Sino-Japanese war. My former friends from the Japan Militaria Research Association are advisors for this series. I have long lost contact with them, so I was glad to see that they are still well and active. Etsuko Yagyu, who also was advisor to Tora Tora Tora is Japan's foremost authority on Navy uniforms from its earliest days and happens to be a woman.
    Further episodes will follow only late this year, because NHK didn't have the budget to make it into a regular series. http://videonavi.blog66.fc2.com/blog-entry-2147.html

Comment

Great flag Fabian! I would have that one framed. It has all the makings of a great piece. Congrats.
      Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott! Glad you like it, I'll most probably frame it, just thinking the way I'm gonna do it. And Nick thanks for the links! It's really cool to know that they have those professionals working on every detail of the series, at first wont mind about the subs but I think I may have some luck on Spanish subtitles (my natal language) cause there is a forum of Latin Americans dedicated to translate all kind of Asian films and series and I like watching them, so will contact them if they didnt know this although I think they already do!

Comment

Hi again gents! I got the frame done all in black to contrast my white walls and I'm ready to "install" the flag but was waiting to get a little writing on his owner to add: his name, city, Kendo club and maybe his regiment (although this is just a good guess)... and was trying to find the Kendo club name on the city just for fun and realized the Kenyukai part was actually Kenkyukai (k added) and this means study or research group, so is it an investigation group or I'm just misunderstanding the meaning? Cause I have also found this word in many Aikido and Iaido groups so is the Kenkyukai another martial art which combines this martial arts with Kendo or (more probably) a style and that's why I find it in many martial arts? Then I have the Hokuto part which found it means north star so this would be the club name I guess.

So the writing would be something like this:

Soldier Munenori Tsubouchi - Matsuyama City
          Hokuto Kenkyukai Kendo Club – IJA 12th Infantry Regiment

Should I add the "11th Division" tag or spell completely IJA? Keep the Kendo word?What do you think?

Would love to add a battle place but cant tell that much; just know that part of the 11th Division was sent to the Philippines and participated in the Battle of Guam, the rest was sent back to Shikoku until the end of the war. I have tried to get something about 羅店鎮 from Shangai but couldnt find anything, is there any translation? Please correct anything you think is wrong on the spelling aswell!

Best regards,
          Fabian.-
          Last edited by gebris353; 04-11-2010, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gebris353 View Post
            Hi again gents! I got the frame done all in black to contrast my white walls and I'm ready to "install" the flag but was waiting to get a little writing on his owner to add: his name, city, Kendo club and maybe his regiment (although this is just a good guess)... and was trying to find the Kendo club name on the city just for fun and realized the Kenyukai part was actually Kenkyukai (k added) and this means study or research group, so is it an investigation group or I'm just misunderstanding the meaning? Cause I have also found this word in many Aikido and Iaido groups so is the Kenkyukai another martial art which combines this martial arts with Kendo or (more probably) a style and that's why I find it in many martial arts? Then I have the Hokuto part which found it means north star so this would be the club name I guess.

So the writing would be something like this:

Soldier Munenori Tsubouchi - Matsuyama City
            Hokuto Kenkyukai Kendo Club – IJA 12th Infantry Regiment

Should I add the "11th Division" tag or spell completely IJA? Keep the Kendo word?What do you think?

Would love to add a battle place but cant tell that much; just know that part of the 11th Division was sent to the Philippines and participated in the Battle of Guam, the rest was sent back to Shikoku until the end of the war. I have tried to get something about 羅店鎮 from Shangai but couldnt find anything, is there any translation? Please correct anything you think is wrong on the spelling aswell!

Best regards,
            Fabian.-
            Adding letters to my translation until words you don't know suddenly transform themselves into words convenient to you, I gotta give you credit for your inventiveness. May I suggest some more Ks and a sprinkling of Ts to spice it up even more? Have fun.

Comment

Hi Nick, sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to, was just trying to understand the name and since (as you say) it's not my language that added K was the closer I could get but that's why I posted it here too so you could correct me in case I made a mistake and that's what happened. Sorry again.

Best regards,
              Fabian.-

Comment

Kenyukai literally translated means Friends of the sword association or if you like, The Fraternity of the Sword, and is a fairly common name for a Kendo Club.

Comment

Thanks for the help Nick, I appreciate it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                  X