Another flag question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another flag question

I bought this flag today in a package deal with a canteen. The seller said this (and the canteen) came from Okinawa, and he was selling it on behalf of the widow.
    Anyhow, this flag is silk, measures about 36" x 24", and I was just wondering if its legit. If so, what was the purpose of a flag like this, as it has no signatures on it.....thanks in advance

2nd picture....there are no ties on any of the corners of this flag......?

Last edited by keith; 09-20-2008, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Another flag question...

Keith-
      This is a Japanese "national" flag called a hinomaru. Nearly all signed "national" flags started out looking like this. Once the signatures are placed across the front, it is called a yosegaki hinomaru (Japanese speakers sometimes reverse the words.) The reason I say nearly all flags started out looking like this is because patriotic organizations and the like at times had signed flags printed up. When the red orb was printed or screened to the white field, black characters would have been placed on the white field at the same time (they were manufactured, signed flags.)
      There is no real way to tell if this flag is vintage or not. The material is not old enough to date via testing. The fact that it is lacking corner ties, tells us nothing about the age either. The most you can say for sure is that it is a nice "national" flag with a "story"/connection to a veteran. Is the canteen a nice one? MikeB

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
        Keith-
        This is a Japanese "national" flag called a hinomaru. Nearly all signed "national" flags started out looking like this. Once the signatures are placed across the front, it is called a yosegaki hinomaru (Japanese speakers sometimes reverse the words.) The reason I say nearly all flags started out looking like this is because patriotic organizations and the like at times had signed flags printed up. When the red orb was printed or screened to the white field, black characters would have been placed on the white field at the same time (they were manufactured, signed flags.)
        There is no real way to tell if this flag is vintage or not. The material is not old enough to date via testing. The fact that it is lacking corner ties, tells us nothing about the age either. The most you can say for sure is that it is a nice "national" flag with a "story"/connection to a veteran. Is the canteen a nice one? MikeB
        Thanks Mike-I posted a picture of the canteen elswhere in this forum.

Comment

Another flag question...

Hi Keith-
          Rogert that! I wish there was more that could be said about your flag. Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X