• Show
Clear All

Found this for sale at a flea market is it original ww2

Japanese meat ball flag

Hello
    Across the top of your flag

八紘一宇
    Hakkō Icchu 
    Eight corners of the world under one crown (Japanese patriotic slogan)

武運長久 
    Buun Chōkyū
    Everlasting luck in battle

内閣恩給局
    Personnel and Pension Bureau

Various kanji (bravery, loyalty) followed by random names with ranks
    Loyalty. Ida Ichiro
    Bravery. Captain Nakano
    Decisiveness. Lieutenant Itō
    etc...

Comment

I have this posted this on several sites. No one said anything but when I posted it on a non collector site, it was just a Japanese translation site they said it was a fake. If its a fake its an old one. The age is real. Any thoughts?

Comment

it all looks written in the same hand to me. Something I personally would not pursue.

Tom

Comment

So this flag has age to it. I don't believe its new. But could it be a tojo flag?

Comment

One of the experts who helped me translate it said it looks original to him and he also collects these.

Comment

I had an expert who helped me translate it said its original but not to the war but occupation. "This flag was used as a team flag for a friendly game, like baseball, with the allied forces in the postwar to be gifted to the vet.A very historical one."

Comment

I would imagine the US/Allied soldier's name would be on the flag if occupation era and a gift, but I am not seeing anything like that. Did the person you worked with concerning translation point to any kanji phrase specifically that talked about an Allied/Occupation connection?

Tom

Comment

The link to the web site of the thread is here. https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/thread.../#post-1580305

Comment

The man who translated it is Japanese :
                    • 1. 八紘一宇 We are all one
                    • 2. 武運長久 松井 Continued luck in the fortunes of war by Matsui
                    • 3. 内閣恩給局 所一会 忠烈 井田一郎 To Tokoro, Ichie of the Cabinet Pension Bureau / Unswerving loyalty by Ida, Ichiro
                    • 4. 頑 速水 Absolutely by Hayami
                    • 5. 猛 宮村勝田 Ferocious by Miyamura, Katsuta
                    • 6. 押 女+丙 (a coined word) 属 井川 You are a playboy by Igawa (sounds same as 横柄属 Oh-hei-zoku = Arrogant guy)
                    • 7. 勲 津田利之 Distinguished service by Tsuda, Toshiyuki
                    • 8. 断 伊藤少尉 Cut by 2nd Lt. Ito
                    • 9. 滅私奉公 吉川少尉 Selfless devotion by 2nd Lt. Yoshikawa
                    • 10. 義 大西中尉 Justice by Lt. Onishi
                    • 11. 勇 中町大尉 Bravery by Capt. Nakamachi
                    • 12. 常勝 松田義一 Ever-victorious by Matsuda, Yoshikazu

I would say this is war-time since the use of the old ranking system is used (shou-i, chuu-i, tai-i)

- Guy

Comment

So then the only thing that hangs this up is that some think its all in the same hand. Is that a deal breaker or is that known to have happened? Just trying to figure out what this is exactly.

Comment

All the one I have were signed by numerous different people. The family or the soldier would would have it signed by friends or family. Since different people were giving there support you end up with different styles of writing. This is not one I would pursue. I take that back I do have one signed in one hand I will try to post a picture of it.

Comment

This one is all in one hand. The others are not.
                          Attached Files

Comment

So its just going to have to be a unknown. Is that correct?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X