Japanese blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese blades

HI all, as mentioned before, I have no knowledge in Japanese blades (I collect LW for 35+ years) but would like for the pleasure of my eyes adding one + a tanto in my leaving room - I am proposed the following, but have no knowledge if right, what period and an approximate value

I may have more photos this week, but maybe, as a start you could help me, please
    Attached Files
    Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Another strange habaki on the aicuchi.It looks very modern to me.You need someone with a bit of knowledge to look at the blades you have up close.

Comment

The second sword is close to the same as a Japanese naval sword with a stainless steel blade. Tang will often have anchor in a circle stamped on it. Yours however was made during the occupation out of leftover parts for the troops as souvenirs

Comment

For the guys who can help you with the tanto, it will help them if you remove the handle, and provide pictures of the full naked blade.

Steve is correct on the sword. I own one myself. They were ordered by the 8th Army PX as souvenirs after the war. Tenzoshen factory, of the Toyokawa Arsenal (the stamp you'll see on the tang), made 8,000 of these and sold them through the Army PX and the Japan Sword Co. store. Current value is $400-500 USD. I've attached an article I wrote on this sword for the JSSUS newsletter, based upon our fairly recent discoveries.
        Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks to ALL, your knowledge is appreciated, another tanto was offered to me by the same person - and of course I need some opinion on the value - thanks in advance
          Attached Files

Comment

The tang is signed
            兼友
            Kanetomo

Someone will have to determine which Kanetomo, as there are very many through the years.
            The image was posted upside-down; I've righted the view.

-- Guy
            Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks, help appreciated
              Look like some parts are missing?

Comment

Originally posted by François SAEZ View Post
                ...Look like some parts are missing?
                Yes: the pommel [kashira], wrapping, and menuki [decorative metal ornaments under the wrapping, one on each side] are missing. Also, the ray-skin [same'] shows its age: it is shrunken and broken; if not broken, it was applied in three pieces, and the central piece looks like a "full wrap" instead of panels.

I'm not a collector, so cannot give a ballpark value.

-- Guy

Comment

Many thanks Guy

Comment

Originally posted by François SAEZ View Post
                    Many thanks Guy

Comment

Thats the tanto to buy,if you can get it at a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                        For the guys who can help you with the tanto, it will help them if you remove the handle, and provide pictures of the full naked blade.

Steve is correct on the sword. I own one myself. They were ordered by the 8th Army PX as souvenirs after the war. Tenzoshen factory, of the Toyokawa Arsenal (the stamp you'll see on the tang), made 8,000 of these and sold them through the Army PX and the Japan Sword Co. store. Current value is $400-500 USD. I've attached an article I wrote on this sword for the JSSUS newsletter, based upon our fairly recent discoveries.
                        Great info on the PX sword! What is the JSSUS? Thanks!

Comment

Japanese Sword Society of the U.S.
                          http://www.jssus.org/

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post

I can't open this. It says "fetch can not be opened".....?

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben View Post

I can't open this. It says "fetch can not be opened".....?
                              Well, I don't know what is causing that. I just tried it myself and the window asked me how I wanted to open it and gave choices like "with Firefox", "with Adobe" etc. I chose Firefox and it opened.

If you want to PM an email, I'll send it to you that way.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X