Japanese Officer surrender Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Officer surrender Sword

A Japanese Officer's Sword surrendered with Certificate and Map of Burma. I would very much like to know the meaning of the Kanji on the back of the Habaki, many thanks.
    Attached Files

What a strange habaki.There are no protruding side panels on it and I have never seen one engraved on top before.

Comment

Japanese Swords are not familiar to me, although have a few Japanese items in the collection. I have interest in the Burma campaign and this Sword and a few other pieces I have used in some displays. I have heard that the kanji may be Chinese, saying "The Palace", and not Japanese, but I would not know for sure. If it is Chinese I do not know what this means regarding the Sword. As I do not have any other examples to compare I can't comment on the habaki.

Originally posted by Franco View Post
      What a strange habaki.There are no protruding side panels on it and I have never seen one engraved on top before.

Comment

I believe it says MIYAMOTO a family name.
        Paul M.

Comment

Many thanks Paul, so it does seem to be Japanese and not Chinese as someone else had told me.

Originally posted by pmiya View Post
          Paul M.

Comment

The habaki is made in the style of some Tachi.

Comment

Originally posted by pmiya View Post
              Paul M.
              Paul!

宮本
              Miyamoto

Comment

Originally posted by seebee1 View Post
                I have heard that the kanji may be Chinese, saying "The Palace", ...
                Yes, "palace".
                å®® miya/gu means "palace; shinto shrine."
                本 moto means "origin" or "source". In this case the name origin probably meant "One who lives at/near the Shrine/Palace."

-- Guy

Comment

Many thanks for the further information, very much appreciated. Is the kanji unusual and what could its meaning be to the original owner of the Sword? I need to find someone who is experienced and knowledgeable to remove the handle, it seems possible that the tang may be signed (please excuse lack of proper part names).

Comment

The note from the CO is very interesting as unlike US soldiers (and as far as I'm aware) UK soldiers weren't aloud to souvenir hunt and keep the items(unlike the US soldiers) so this note saying he's allowed to have it in his possession is great to have with the group!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

I ran the question about the shape of the habaki to the the guys at NMB, and at least one of them says the style was known to be used on old tachi fittings. So like all things gunto - never say never, or always!

It's a really cool set you have there!

Oh! Just saw mister Stubben already passed that along!

Comment

Originally posted by seebee1 View Post
                          Many thanks for the further information, very much appreciated. Is the kanji unusual and what could its meaning be to the original owner of the Sword? I need to find someone who is experienced and knowledgeable to remove the handle, it seems possible that the tang may be signed (please excuse lack of proper part names).
                          Miyamoto is a surname, so the owner was probably a Miyamoto.

Comment

Much appreciate the further comments. I have tried to remove the peg, but unable to do so. It is probable that someone at sometime has tried this before, unsuccessfully I think, so I plan to leave this until I find a competent and knowledgable person to do this for me. I could try some long-nose pliers, but probably would chew-up the remnants of the peg further. On the reverse side all there seems to be is metal. I have had the Sword for many years so will have no problem in being patient for a while longer.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The bamboo pegs (mekugi) can get beat up. The end you are seeing is the fatter end, as most of them are tapered a bit, and come out only one way. I'm attaching pics of how to push them out from the other side. It's quite easy once you see how it works. If it's never been removed, you might have to tap it some, but you won't hurt anything. These are often lost and/or crumbled, and are easy to replace. Shops, like Fred Lohman, usually have them. I bought 3 online for $10 once.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by BruceP; 08-25-2020, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X