CEJ Books

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lacquer Box: What Sort of 4th Class Rising Sun ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lacquer Box: What Sort of 4th Class Rising Sun ???

Here's something I do not see every day ... so I need the help of our collector fraternity.

Here is a lacquer box for the Order of the Rising Sun 4th Class ... is this for presentation to a foreigner? I saw a similar, but much more elaborate box, for a Rising Sun 2nd Class that was presented to a German Officer; but as I recall, that box had a large Kiri-mon at the top and smaller ones repeated throughout the background. This box has but a single Kiri-mon.

Size:
    11.5cm x 8cm (4.5" x 3.25")

Text:
    勲四等
    旭日小綬章

Is this common to the collector community, or have I stumbled onto something nice? It makes a great jewelry box!

Thanks for your help,
    -- Guy
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Nick Komiya
    Yes, that was a box for presentation to foreigners in the late Meiji period, after the Russo-Japanese War. around 1907. Earlier and later cases for foreigners had the multiple crests, so this type was used for only a short time. The tie tassels have been replaced, they would have been longer and red, attached to both sides of the box to be tied at the middle of the closed lid.
    I found a good example at GMIC. Mine is in obviously poor condition and is missing the original red cords and plush insert.

-- Guy
    Attached Files

Comment

Only three higher classes (1st, 2nd and 3rd) have multiple crests and as a result inscriptions inside the case. All others classes have one crest with inscription underneath.

Comment

Hi JapanX,

Thanks for that clarification. If I understood your explanation at GMIC, these boxes were used for all recipients, not just foreigners, at that point in history?

Kind regards,
        -- Guy

Comment

No, they were used only for foreigners and (probably for some time) for the nobles. Not enough empirical evidence to be 100% sure in the latter. For example, in the "Dawn Hall" of Kagoshima castle one can find a set of Chrysanthemum that was issued to Shimazu Hisamitsu https://gmic.co.uk/topic/61086-supre...comment-575085

Comment

Ahhhhh! Thank you very much. My friend was very appreciative of his gift. Just for information purposes, what are the dealer price ranges of these boxes. As I said above, I spent the princely sum of US $20 for this one.

Many thanks, Nick!

-- Guy

Comment

I don`t think that there is such thing as "dealer price range" for such items Guy, since these are pretty rare.
              20 bucks for a case (even not completely problem-free) is a nice price.

Best,
              Nick

Comment

Originally posted by JapanX View Post
                No, they were used only for foreigners and (probably for some time) for the nobles. Not enough empirical evidence to be 100% sure in the latter. For example, in the "Dawn Hall" of Kagoshima castle one can find a set of Chrysanthemum that was issued to Shimazu Hisamitsu https://gmic.co.uk/topic/61086-supre...comment-575085
                Awesome, I didn't know this before, thanks for sharing this information

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X