griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unissued Japanese helmet with Yellow Star ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unissued Japanese helmet with Yellow Star ??

I have a friend that bought this helmet from a US vets estate some 30 years ago and it was said to be taken right out of a depot. Unissued condition for sure. I don’t think I have seen one with a yellow painted star. Can anyone help. ?? Brent
    Attached Files

Yes nice mint, unissued example. In my opinion star was painted yellow post war to add interest.

Comment

I agree with Jareth. It may have been one of the helmets often seen with a bare metal star, which prompted the GI to spruce it up with some yellow paint.

PG-

Comment

Can we see a close up of the star please.

PG-

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
          Yes nice mint, unissued example. In my opinion star was painted yellow post war to add interest.

+1 nice helmet but postwar paint in yellow. Of course the stars on IJA field caps, pith helmets and host of other IJA headgear items are yellow so it is easy to see where one could get the notion and idea to paint it yellow. My guess is that if you really look closely at the star you might see some splash or yellow painting "out of the lines"

Nice helmet in every other way!

Comment

Not sure, but years ago, I asked John Egger about painter stars. I believe he had one on his table, and that's why the conversation came up. I suggested that they might be branch colors. He thought it might be possible; he mentioned other colors that he had seen in the past. I thought I'd share this for what it's worth.

Comment

I find that theory less plausible especially since helmet is mint & unissued

Comment

I find this one really nice but imo must agree with jareth.
                Now Is there anywhere any proof of colored stars on helmets?
                If yes i would like to be a believer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
                  I find that theory less plausible especially since helmet is mint & unissued
                  The one on John's table was used, and I've seen others out there that are also used. This helmet is the first mint one I've seen.

I believe the one on John's table had a red star.
                  Last edited by 101combatvet; 05-07-2020, 11:53 AM.

Comment

I've seen white, yellow , silver (removed paint & polished) & red. All draw attention & make excellent targets. It was one topic I disagreed with John. If a star was painted in 1948 or later all would show age. I firmly believe they are all post war enhanced with possible exception of red star which might be Chinese reuse post war.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X