More Imperial Tally Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Imperial Tally Info

I just recieved this Navy portrait that looks Imperial or Reichsmarine. There are many knowledgable collectors here who may be able to provide more information on this tally. It says Matrosen Artillery. I tried to find some info on this but came up with nothing. Is this a ship?
    Attached Files

Here is the rear. It has a name and what looks to be "Gold Beach 45" Wasn't this one of the beaches the Allies named for the D-Day invasion? Not sure what connection this has.
    Attached Files

Comment

There is more to this tally than you can read. Could have a number of variations on it. Imperial in any case.

Not ships, coastal artillery among other things.

John

Comment

Like John says imperial, there's a name after the Artillerie that we can't see and something like coastal artillery.

Here's one about 1/3 down the page:

http://www.sacktrick.com/igu/germanc...aluniforms.htm

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. So, Coastal Artillery, this was fixed defenses on the coast was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Campbell View Post
            Thanks for the help guys. So, Coastal Artillery, this was fixed defenses on the coast was it?
            Yes, that's right. Fixed positions like the German Atlantic Wall, defense of a harbour etc.

Comment

Thanks. Wonder what the writing on the back means.

Comment

Looks like Goldbeck? Possible last name. That was what I thought of.

Regards,
                JustinG

Comment

I think Goldbeck 45 must be an address. In German the number follows the street name. Odd name Justine Heymrun?
                  Regards,
                  ---Norm

Comment

The name is not odd at all, it reads Justus Heymann.

"Goldbeck" could refer to a small town in Brandenburg. The number "45" therefore most likely indicates the year someone wrote the name of the person on the back of the photo, i.e. 1945.

Just a thought.

Comment

If you zoom in on the Left side, you can see numbers:

I am curious what that signifies? A professional photographer's license stamp?

I don't think that this would be referring to the year. This seems to have a Reichsmarine or pre-war feel. The Cockade is what I was also using along with the block lettering on the Muetzenband.
                      This is just my guess.

I can't see anyone posting a date on a photograph that would not be congruent with the year taken or the year served. Early Bundesmarine tallies would have been in gothic script so, I don't believe that the '45 represents the year taken.
                      Just my opinion.

Regards,
                      JustinG

Comment

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
                        If you zoom in on the Left side, you can see numbers:

I am curious what that signifies? A professional photographer's license stamp?

I don't think that this would be referring to the year. This seems to have a Reichsmarine or pre-war feel. The Cockade is what I was also using along with the block lettering on the Muetzenband.
                        This is just my guess.

I can't see anyone posting a date on a photograph that would not be congruent with the year taken or the year served. Early Bundesmarine tallies would have been in gothic script so, I don't believe that the '45 represents the year taken.
                        Just my opinion.

Regards,
                        JustinG
                        1. Ask your question about 1289 in the photo section. They will answer you.

2. It does not have a Reichsmarine feel since as I stated, it is Imperial--I am talking about the tally.
                        Last edited by John R.; 10-24-2009, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
                          Looks like Goldbeck? Possible last name. That was what I thought of.

Regards,
                          JustinG
                          Kaleun is partly correct, Goldbeck is a municipality in the district of Stendal, in Saxony-Anhalt--NW of Berlin.

It is not a the name of a person.

The writing IMO says:

Justine Hegmann
                          Goldbeck 45

However, the writing style changes after Justine. No idea why. The address does appear incomplete--maybe somebody practicing their German writing, like a non-German. The writing is quite odd.
                          Last edited by John R.; 10-24-2009, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Great info everyone. The number on front of the photo may be from the studio to keep track of shots. I have seen this more than once.

Comment

For example, sent in October 1899 to Herrn Friedrich Esch, Hannover, Stiftstrasse 15 III . (The III is saying that Mr Esch was living on the third floor.)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X