Family Prussian Pickelhaube Repair/Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Prussian Pickelhaube Repair/Restoration

I am wanting to see if it would be possible to repair/restore my family Pickelhaube. It belonged to my great grandfather and has been in my family for 102 years. Unfortunately, my cat knocked the helmet off the shelf and cracked the shell. Is this repairable? What is everyone's thoughts. Thank you
    Attached Files

First, get rid of the cat
    jk, dont do that

There are some guys on the pickelhaube forum that do restorations/repairs. Personally, I wouldnt restore or repair it, the split is part of its history now. Something with sentimental value such as this should just be left alone. I would put it in a cabinet or case so bo other damage can be done to it.

Comment

If it were mine I would leave it as is, and display it properly.

Chuck

Comment

I concur with the others, leave it as it is. However, I would find a small glass or stand that will keep the front and rear visors from touching the surface. A stand will keep the threads from giving out and lead to the detachment on one or both visors.
        Just some comments about the preservation of a family haire loom from the cheap seats.
        John

Comment

I agree with the others. There's not really anything you can do to fix the now present crack in the leather shell. And yes, keep the visors from resting directly on the shelf with the weight of the helmet on the stitch line threads.

I've seen Brian from the pickelhaubes.com forum put a leather patch inside the shell to hold the cracked line together, but that in itself doesn't really help much, even if you were an expert like Brian is, and knows what they're doing with restoring helmets like he does. If it were mine, I'd just leave it alone, and not be real thrilled with a cat that jumps up off the floor and knocks things down.

Try laying some aluminum foil on the shelves/counters where the cat jumps up on, and see if that cures your pet.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. I am going to leave it as is. If it wasn't my son's cat he would be gone.

Comment

I've got a similar type pickelhaube that has a dimple type puncture in the dome area, which has left a type of flap....I've tried a number of things short of using adhesive to hold it down....Finally just gave up and learned to live with....After all, I figure it was caused by the helmets being stacked on top of one another....The puncture caused by the spike of another....Which of course is just part of it's history...Bodes

Comment

I was going to suggest "cat gut" is a great sealer/repair material.
                Ha Ha Just Kidding.

Best Regards,
                JustinG

Comment

me too, i will stay the same

Slope

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X