Billy Kramer

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wound badge in silver - very heavy (silver / tombak)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wound badge in silver - very heavy (silver / tombak)

Hi all,

I have this WWI Wound Badge in Silver in my collection.

With approx. 15 grams (I will try to weigh it more precisely) it's really heavy for a hollow piece. Not sure which material it is, but it's non magnetic (except the needle, which is magnetic).

Quite sure that it's one of the privately procured pieces but nevertheless unique due to its weight.

What do you think?

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Files

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of this one. There appears to be generally weak obverse details (very poor around the sword hilts) and the hinge/hingeplate just do not make sense on a badge that does not appear to be zinc. The reverse rim appears to be uneven in height, which would be an extremely unusual feature on a genuine badge. My guess is that's it's some sort of whitemetal casting. A detailed hand inspection may pick up some firm evidence.

Regards
    Mike
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

I concur.
      pseudo-expert

Comment

Hi guys,

yes, I see what you mean.

When I first had it in hands, this (the partly spongy contours, absolutly correct especially at the sword hilts) was also my concerns but normally, if it's whitemetal, you are able to 'bend' it, if you really want to - wasn't possible with this one.
        That's why I gave it a second chance and wanted to show it. Doesn't look that bad in hands

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
        X