JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inf Res Lt 1915 Pattern Feldgrau Litewka Tunic - awards questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inf Res Lt 1915 Pattern Feldgrau Litewka Tunic - awards questions?

I recently aquired a WW1 Imperial German 321 Infantry Reserve Officers 1915 Pattern Feldgrau Litewka Tunic from my collector friend.

I have been digging for more and more information on the tunic:
    The 231st Reserve Infantry Regiment was raised in Thuringia, mainly in the duchy of Saxe-Altenburg and the Prussian Province of Saxony. They were part of The 50th Reserve Division .The division was formed in September 1914 and was part of the first wave of new divisions formed at the outset of World War I - the 231st seeing action on both fronts.

The Blue and yellow ribbon would be correct for Thuringia - I also found another similar tunic that sold at Ratisbon auctions with the same button ribbon combination - identified as Thuringian.

***Questions:
    1) The shoulder boards are 100% original for sure - but they are Prussian correct? Saxony would have green threading?

2) Did Soldiers in WW1 receive medals from other states than their own? - I see a lot of ribbon bars with multiple state ribbons - especially the large "parade" bars.

3) Were Ribbons ever applied Directly to a tunic - as in just pinned on the breast - not part of a complex bar? - they come with loop and loose ribbon originally.

4) I have Award Loops for 3 badges on this tunic - Its came with a correct Wound Badge - I added a nice Marked jewelers quality EKi cross - What is another common Pin backed tunic medal for officers/solders - German Imperial WW1?
    One that would fit the tunic - and not be something incredibly expemmsive?

The complexity of states, awards, etc of Imperial Germany is fascinating but tough to learn. Any reference material reccomended I would certainly get.

Sincere Thanks!
    Attached Files

Congrats, that looks like a nice Litewka.
    Taking your questions in turn:

1) The shoulder boards are 100% original for sure - but they are Prussian correct? Saxony would have green threading?

Saxony (which was a separate kingdom, not a province of Prussia) would indeed have green threading, but Sachsen Altenburg is not part of that Kingdom, and the Prussian army pre war had several contingents that hailed from Thuringen (IR 94-96, IR 153).

2) Did Soldiers in WW1 receive medals from other states than their own? - I see a lot of ribbon bars with multiple state ribbons - especially the large "parade" bars.

Yes, they did.

3) Were Ribbons ever applied Directly to a tunic - as in just pinned on the breast - not part of a complex bar? - they come with loop and loose ribbon originally.

Usually, knights and officer grade orders (generally 4th and 3rd classes of an order) and medals were mounted on bars, not loose as is the Austrian practice. There were exceptions: Kaiser Wilhelm II wore the Kleinkreuz of the Black Eagle Order as a single decoration. But these exceptions are rare. If by "ribbons mounted on the tunic" you refer to the button hole mounted EKII and Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreuz ribbons on your tunic, those are not uncommon, but they were worn as ribbons only, without the decoration attached.

4) I have Award Loops for 3 badges on this tunic - Its came with a correct Wound Badge - I added a nice Marked jewelers quality EKi cross - What is another common Pin backed tunic medal for officers/solders - German Imperial WW1?

Theoretically, for Sachsen-Altenburg, the Herzog Ernst-Medaille 1.Klasse mit Schwertern could be an option https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/de...teckkreuz.html . but these are both expensive and heavily faked. Given the Braunschweig connection suggested by the second button hole ribbon (if original to the tunic), this perhaps might be suited: https://www.sammler-cabinett.de/shop...nes-27932.html

Hope of some use.
    Kind regards,
    Sandro

Comment

Very Kind Thank You !!

Woderful Information! You have an obvious wealth of knowledge on Imperial collecting. God Bless and Thank You!

Originally posted by GdC26 View Post
      Congrats, that looks like a nice Litewka.
      Taking your questions in turn:

Saxony (which was a separate kingdom, not a province of Prussia) would indeed have green threading, but Sachsen Altenburg is not part of that Kingdom, and the Prussian army pre war had several contingents that hailed from Thuringen (IR 94-96, IR 153).

Yes, they did.

Usually, knights and officer grade orders (generally 4th and 3rd classes of an order) and medals were mounted on bars, not loose as is the Austrian practice. There were exceptions: Kaiser Wilhelm II wore the Kleinkreuz of the Black Eagle Order as a single decoration. But these exceptions are rare. If by "ribbons mounted on the tunic" you refer to the button hole mounted EKII and Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreuz ribbons on your tunic, those are not uncommon, but they were worn as ribbons only, without the decoration attached.

Theoretically, for Sachsen-Altenburg, the Herzog Ernst-Medaille 1.Klasse mit Schwertern could be an option https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/de...teckkreuz.html . but these are both expensive and heavily faked. Given the Braunschweig connection suggested by the second button hole ribbon (if original to the tunic), this perhaps might be suited: https://www.sammler-cabinett.de/shop...nes-27932.html

Hope of some use.
      Kind regards,
      Sandro

Comment

You’re welcome. Two points of clarification: state regiments in the preussian army wore shoulderboards with state colors (eg, red for Hessen) but if RIR 231 was raised as a prussian regiment then black chevrons would be correct. I find it hard to make out the colot of the chevrons from the pic you posted. And om the braunschweig decoration, not sure if the second Classic ribbon would continue to be worn following the award of a first class, you’d need to check that.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
        X