Need help to ID this one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help to ID this one

Small pinback badge (2") with crowned "CA" or "AC" cipher that used to be silvered, with ribbon backdrop, swallow tail, whose colors suggest Saxe-Weimar.
    Can anybody add anything to this? Appreciate your help. Tony
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Tony Colson
    Small pinback badge (2") with crowned "CA" or "AC" cipher that used to be silvered, with ribbon backdrop, swallow tail, whose colors suggest Saxe-Weimar.
    Can anybody add anything to this? Appreciate your help. Tony
    Hi Tony -

Looks like you didn’t get any bites on this one, so I’ll take a shot at it. First the easy part - I’m sure that you are realize that the CA/AC cipher is, in fact, “CA” for Carl Alexander. This would put us in Saxe-Weimar.

The ribbon is a pattern similar to the one found on several Saxe-Weimer and Saxe-Coburg-Gotha awards. There are many subtle variations of this pattern but I am quite sure that #508 is the right one. So taken all together, this could relate your piece to the 1878-1903 silver merit cross of the Saxe-Weimar House Order of the White Falcon - same ribbon, same cipher.

Beyond that Tony, your guess is as good as mine. I hope that this information is of some help,

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Card
      Hi Tony -

Looks like you didn’t get any bites on this one, so I’ll take a shot at it. First the easy part - I’m sure that you are realize that the CA/AC cipher is, in fact, “CA” for Carl Alexander. This would put us in Saxe-Weimar.

The ribbon is a pattern similar to the one found on several Saxe-Weimer and Saxe-Coburg-Gotha awards. There are many subtle variations of this pattern but I am quite sure that #508 is the right one. So taken all together, this could relate your piece to the 1878-1903 silver merit cross of the Saxe-Weimar House Order of the White Falcon - same ribbon, same cipher.

Beyond that Tony, your guess is as good as mine. I hope that this information is of some help,

Best wishes,

Wild Card
      Hello Wild Card!
      Many thanks for substantially adding to what little is known about this piece. I remember seeing it photographed somewhere, I think in a catalog from Germany, but that memory has since gotten lost in the midsts of History.Again, many thanks,
      Tony

Comment

Hello,

My guess would be a veteran's pin from a former member of Inf.-Rgt. Großherzog von Sachsen (5.Thüringisches) Nr.94. The regiment wore this royal cypher from 1867 until 1916, when it was replace by the initials of the new grand duke "EW".

Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Chip Minx
          Hello,

My guess would be a veteran's pin from a former member of Inf.-Rgt. Großherzog von Sachsen (5.Thüringisches) Nr.94. The regiment wore this royal cypher from 1867 until 1916, when it was replace by the initials of the new grand duke "EW".

Chip
          Hi Chip,
          many thanks for your help in attempting to identify the Saxon (Weimar/Coburg Gotha?) Thuringian veterans association badge. This is really funny - I have been collecting vet badges for over 30 years now and it never dawned on me that this may in fact be a veteran's badge. I appreciate your bringing your expertise and your knowledge into play in this matter; it has been very helpful. Thanks. Tony

Comment

Tony,

Glad to know that you found the information to be of interest.
            Best regards,
            Chip

Comment

Court

Maybe this is just me being silly , but could it not be a chiffre sign of the souvereign worn by members of the Saxe-Weimar court? I know downhere people like the aids of the queen and such wear something similar, a "B" then ofcourse...but than again I am just guessing

Originally posted by Chip Minx
              Tony,

Glad to know that you found the information to be of interest.
              Best regards,
              Chip

Comment

David,

Your guess is as good as mine.

Chip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X