Hamburg badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hamburg badge

WW1 items are not in my collecting area. I have this Hamburg veterans badge and can use some help with it … it looks too new & the details look too soft (cast repro?)for it to be an original piece am I correct on this? Thanks in advance for any & all help.

Mike H.
    Attached Files

Here is a good one for comparing
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for the fast response. There is a huge difference in the details of the soldier in your badge and those on mine. Again thank you for your help.

Mike H.

Comment

Originally posted by rlimike View Post
        WW1 items are not in my collecting area. I have this Hamburg veterans badge and can use some help with it … it looks too new & the details look too soft (cast repro?)for it to be an original piece am I correct on this? Thanks in advance for any & all help.

Mike H.
        Yours is a cast fake. Why anyone would fake these when you can pick up a real one for under $100 is beyond me. But, a lot of fakes have been posted on eBay over the last few years.

There are in fact 7 variations of this badge produced between 1925 and 1935. The real one shown is the first and most common type.

Comment

Hi Mike,

I think you are right: the details on the soldier and the edges of the star on the back also makes me think its a casting. Only one maker for these and you see a number of variations in finish, hardware (note the difference in hinge & pin between Tompress' & mine) and markings exist but your specimen looks ruff. You can still find lots of minty specimens, many in boxes because it was short lived (banned with the introduction of the Ehrenkreuz in 1934)

Regards

JC
          Attached Files

Comment

Duplicate post

Comment

Actually, the ban on all veteran and Freikorps awards was instituted in 1935.

Comment

Here are a couple of variations with two different style boxes.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                  Yours is a cast fake. Why anyone would fake these when you can pick up a real one for under $100 is beyond me. But, a lot of fakes have been posted on eBay over the last few years.

There are in fact 7 variations of this badge produced between 1925 and 1935. The real one shown is the first and most common type.
                  They reproduce everything from $20.00 tinnies to the Knights Cross and everything in between. Where ever a dollar is to be made they will re-pop something to get that
                  dollar. Thank you for posting yours for comparison to mine, those are very nice plus the issue boxes.

Mike H.
                  Last edited by rlimike; 09-17-2017, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                    Actually, the ban on all veteran and Freikorps awards was instituted in 1935.
                    Thanks for the clarification Brian. I taught it became effective when the Ehrenkreuz was inroduced in 1934

Best regards

JC

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X