Saxony 12 Year Long Service Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saxony 12 Year Long Service Medal

Long Service Silver Medal for Non-Commissioned Officers, II class for 9 years of service.

Instituted in 1913 in three grades, for 15, 12 and 9 years’ service, replacing the model introduced in 1874.

Attached Files
    RonR

Attached Files
    RonR

Comment

Nice one, Ron!
      But it seems to be the bronze one for 12 years
      (being the second class of the third model, it was awardable to all ranks...)
      Regards
      Hagrid
      Last edited by Hagrid; 07-12-2017, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Hagrid,

Many thanks for the additional information.

I did correctly identify it as a 12 year in the title, but listed it as a 9 year in the text.

Again, thank you.

Best regards,
        RonR

Comment

Originally posted by Hagrid View Post
          /.../ being the second class of the third model, it was awardable to all ranks...)
          Right, only the cross 1st Class (for 15 Years) was intended for the NCO. Medals for IX & XII years were full democratic
          Attached Files

Comment

RonR

Comment

Originally posted by tompress View Post
              Right, only the cross 1st Class (for 15 Years) was intended for the NCO. Medals for IX & XII years were full democratic
              Are you sure?
              I think that all three classes of the 1913-model were "democratic" (nice term ), even the golden officers cross was awardable to all ranks after 25 years - campaign years doubled - of service (by royal order from 21.08. 1914)
              Regards
              Hagrid

Comment

Hi,

I am basing on German sources, like OEK (Deustche Orden und Ehrenzeichen Katalog) or this website:

http://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deu...iere-1913.html

Here reads " Erhalten haben das Kreuz Unteroffiziere nach vollendeter 15 jähriger Dienstzeit im stehenden Heer."

and for the medal "Erworben wurde die 2. Klasse für 12 Jahre vorwurfsfreien und treuen Dienst als Soldat oder Unteroffizier des stehenden Heeres in Sachsen.

greetings
                Tomasz

Comment

Hi Tomasz!
                  Thank you for quoting your sources
                  As you are able to read german pages - my informations came from

http://www.medalnet.net/Sachen_Dienstauszeichnungen.htm

and

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dien...greich_Sachsen)

Quote:
                  "Ab diesen 3. Modell wurde nun nicht mehr zwischen Offizierskreuz- und Unteroffiziers- bzw. Mannschaftsmedaille unterschieden. Somit konnte jeder Militärangehöriger nunmehr mit allen Klassen der Dienstauszeichnung gewürdigt werden."

I know, I know...Wikipedia. But obviously the saxon king intended to put all ranks to equal opportunities (in this case) to promote the feeling of unison amongst his soldiers.

(It doesn't really matter in the end...)

Regards
                  Hagrid

Comment

Hi Hagrid,

right, the article on Medalnet is for sure better source as Wikipedia I know the website, but have overlooked this very interesting text.

As I good understand, initially the long service crosses and medals type 1913 were awarded on old rules, but after begining of war (King's ordinance of 21. August 1914) all decorations (or at least the cross for 25 years) were awardable for all ranks.

greetings
                    Tomasz
                    Last edited by tompress; 07-12-2017, 05:30 PM. Reason: Corrections

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                    X