No announcement yet.

Godet 935 plm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Thanks for the nice comments. I am pleasantly surprised that no one has "run it down" over the enamel damage. I have owned several PLMs and actually like the ones with enamel damage. They appear as though they were actually worn and used."

Personally the enamel damage is an addition to the honest character of this very used example. The damage revels white primer used in the old world enameling process and rub patterns suggest this order may have been worn simultaneously with another high order such as an RK.
    I also, prefer honest wear above a pristine example. Great piece

Comment

Originally posted by Erickn View Post
      "Thanks for the nice comments. I am pleasantly surprised that no one has "run it down" over the enamel damage. I have owned several PLMs and actually like the ones with enamel damage. They appear as though they were actually worn and used."

Personally the enamel damage is an addition to the honest character of this very used example. The damage revels white primer used in the old world enameling process and rub patterns suggest this order may have been worn simultaneously with another high order such as an RK.
      I also, prefer honest wear above a pristine example. Great piece
      Good point on the wear patterns. We have seen many photos of officers wearing an RK over the PLM. I guess I never thought of that with this particular cross.

I agree on seeing the enameling process and the texturing of the base metal in some areas. Godet used a very slightly different type of blue enamel than Wagner or friedlander, and this piece shows it well.

If it does not sell on the estand, it certainly will not hurt my feelings, as I do appreciate the character of a worn cross over one that is pristine and never worn.

Comment

Well, after all that, I guess I am happy that the cross did not sell on the e-stand. I have four Wagner/Friedlander wartime PLMs, but no example of Godet die characteristics, so it is probably a good thing that I keep it anyway.

Does anyone have any idea as to how long Godet continued to strike PLMs post war with their original dies? I wonder why, in contrast, we don't see Wagner or Friedlander PLMs struck post war to this degree? Or perhaps they did and some "wartime" W or Fr marked pieces were actually struck post war? I am always a little suspicious of completely "mint" PLMs, as the genuine ones I have had from rock solid groupings always have enamel damage to some degree and you can see wear on the inner part of the ring.

I guess one needs a degree of faith as far as when a piece was made, even as a part of a larger grouping, as we have seen with the Wolfe PLM debate.

Comment

There is at least one overtly post-war silver PlM struck from the W/Fr dies and marked 925...I think there may be an image somewhere on the forum. Since the type were apparently strictly government-issued (with no history of a private purchase option to my knowledge), even with the fall of the monarchy and dissolution of the Prussian State, Wagner and Friedlander appear to have respected their committed role and carried out minimal postwar production. One might wonder if the 925 example might even have been fulfillment of a legitimate initial bestowal at war's end that became backlogged or some such, given the lack of additional examples readily to be found. You may have seen the contemporary threads running right now regarding postwar Godet PlMs...appear to have been two solid "single-strike" types (that is, two sets of dies) in simultaneous/overlapping production late 1918 into some time in the 20's, of which yours is a fine example of one of theme.

Regards,

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Zepenthusiast View Post
            There is at least one overtly post-war silver PlM struck from the W/Fr dies and marked 925...I think there may be an image somewhere on the forum. Since the type were apparently strictly government-issued (with no history of a private purchase option to my knowledge), even with the fall of the monarchy and dissolution of the Prussian State, Wagner and Friedlander appear to have respected their committed role and carried out minimal postwar production. One might wonder if the 925 example might even have been fulfillment of a legitimate initial bestowal at war's end that became backlogged or some such, given the lack of additional examples readily to be found. You may have seen the contemporary threads running right now regarding postwar Godet PlMs...appear to have been two solid "single-strike" types (that is, two sets of dies) in simultaneous/overlapping production late 1918 into some time in the 20's, of which yours is a fine example of one of theme.

Regards,

Jim
            Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X