EpicArtifacts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antique shop pick, heavily vaulted, cased ek1 .800 silver...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antique shop pick, heavily vaulted, cased ek1 .800 silver...

Hello folks. Just thought I'd toss up a weekend find for your perusal and feedback. A nice, HEAVILY vaulted, cased EK1 w/ .800 silver frame, and quite glossy core...The paint shows light crazing, and a few spots of surface oxidation (mostly atop the crown), which corresponds to the stain on the interior case lid...It seems (imo), to be quite light, weighing in at only 17.60 grams...The case is also in nice shape, with an interesting "quilt" pattern exterior. Don't know who made this one, but it seems to be a higher end piece due to its weight and construction. Appreciate any feedback as to possible maker. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Ate you using the flash? If not core looks repainted.

Comment

Hi Jesse. Yes, flash is on, but the core does seem to be glossier than most I've seen, however, even under magnification, shows no brush strokes, etc, that'd be indicative of a repaint. Also, the areas of hair-line crazing, paint loss / chips (atop the date), show only oxidized base metal beneath (plus the area of oxidation, corresponding w/ the stain on the inside top lid), all point to the finish being original, albeit a bit on the glossy side....I also thought that it might've perhaps been given a coating of something to preserve it, but it does seem to be the original surface, so, could be, but it's a tough call...Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

...and as an aside, were there any Imperial era EK's types that left the factories w/ a gloss or lacquered core, as opposed to the commonly seen matte finish? Private purchase types perhaps?? Thx.

Comment

A straight on shot of the front and the back of the cross without flash
              would give us a better idea of what you have.

Comment

Thanks, will give it a shot tomorrow in natural light w/o flash.

Comment

Looks like a nice cased EK1. Glossy finished EK1s are not unknown (not common) so if there are no indications of repainting don't mess with it and just enjoy it!

Regards
                  Mike
                  Regards
                  Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
                    Looks like a nice cased EK1. Glossy finished EK1s are not unknown (not common) so if there are no indications of repainting don't mess with it and just enjoy it!

Regards
                    Mike
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Thanks for the add’l feedback gents. I will try taking a few more shots in natural light w/o flash to give a better impression of the medals actual appearance. thx again.

Comment

Some new pics, taken in natural light. You should be able to make out the smooth paint surfaces, crazing, and areas of light oxidation, mostly on the raised surfaces of the crown and date, which correspond to some staining on the satin inner lining of the upper lid...Hope these will better illustrate the cross, and again, thanks for any feedback.
                        Attached Files

Comment

couple more...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Milton, thanks for the additional pictures. The 12 O'clock arm, where the frame meets the core, plus the 3 O'clock arm, it does appear uneven, like paint has got on the frame. It's still difficult to tell, but the more I look the more it looks painted.

Jesse

Comment

Hi again Jesse. Well, if so, I don' t know how they did it w/o a single brush stroke evident, and the frame has most definitely not been apart...Even under magnification there's really no signs of any touch up having been done...(crazing, spots of oxidation, etc.)....Guess I'll take the advice of an earlier respondent and just enjoy it as I found it. Thx for commenting!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X