No announcement yet.

Junker Pilot, early pattern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm happy to see that in hand the cut out of the crown does not look bad at all. I was worried about it but took a change. It's actually cut nicely and doesn't look too wide, etc in hand. The photo doesn't accurately show the crown unless the one I got is another badge

Comment

Badge and on tunic

Comment

I like, what I see!
        The next thing to get is a nice clasp...
        Regards
        Hagrid

Comment

Looks awesome on that tunic

Comment

You are referring to the CEJ pilot badges by numerical types, type 1, type2, ect.

What reference material are you using?

Love that tunic!

Thanks

Mike
            Last edited by M Wipf; 05-21-2017, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M Wipf View Post
              You are referring to the CEJ pilot badges by numerical types, type 1, type2, ect. What reference material are you using?
              Mike

I think that he originally was curious as to the time frame that this badge was made. I don't think or at least am not aware that any such thing has been published on CEJ badges or any of the other makes. I am aware that the various later references have assigned an order (somewhat) to the CEJ badges and in some cases have classed them by Type.....but I don't think that is universally accepted as noting an actual chronology on these......at least it is not by me.

I personally would date the badge in this thread as made around 1916-mid 1917. I base that on characteristics that this badge exhibits that compare to others that have engraved dates that can be trusted and in a few cases pieces owned by pilots who received their license during that time frame and owned badges with these characteristics. It's not a perfect way to measure but it is the best that I know.

I do feel confident that there were CEJ badge types (at least 2) with different characteristics that preceded this variation and another that came after this one.

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
                I think that he originally was curious as to the time frame that this badge was made. I don't think or at least am not aware that any such thing has been published on CEJ badges or any of the other makes. I am aware that the various later references have assigned an order (somewhat) to the CEJ badges and in some cases have classed them by Type.....but I don't think that is universally accepted as noting an actual chronology on these......at least it is not by me.

I personally would date the badge in this thread as made around 1916-mid 1917. I base that on characteristics that this badge exhibits that compare to others that have engraved dates that can be trusted and in a few cases pieces owned by pilots who received their license during that time frame and owned badges with these characteristics. It's not a perfect way to measure but it is the best that I know.

I do feel confident that there were CEJ badge types (at least 2) with different characteristics that preceded this variation and another that came after this one.

Thank you sir, for your excellent response!

I try to stay current on reference material and thought maybe I missed a new one.

I agree with the time frame, 1916 - 1917 for the badge above. I'd rather own the tunic.

Best ..

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by M Wipf View Post
                  I'd rather own the tunic.
                  Best ..Mike
                  So would I and the cap is not bad either!

Comment

Phild is correct that I was interested in the approximate period of the badge. I'm happy with the whole display. It took me years to put the tunic, cap, and badge together.

Thanks all...

Comment

Lady Luck winked at me and I took a chance !
                      Here is my latest aquisition - it happens to be the very same type of badge with a nice rainbow patina (partly)....and it came with reasonable pricing!
                      I´m pretty happy with it...
                      Regards
                      Hagrid

Comment

Originally posted by Hagrid View Post
                        Lady Luck winked at me and I took a chance !

Here is my latest aquisition - it happens to be the very same type of badge with a nice rainbow patina (partly)....and it came with reasonable pricing!

Regards

Hagrid

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Comment

A textbook well worn CE Juncker pilots badge. Very nice!!!!

Dan

Comment

[QUOTE=Hagrid;7820850]Lady Luck winked at me and I took a chance !
                            Regards
                            Hagrid

Another great example, congrats. These 800 Junckers are my favorite variation of Prussian Army Flight badge. They are not the rarest, the most exotic or generally the most expensive of the variations, but IMO these look the best and are the ones (primarily) that were worn during the period. I also tend to believe that these 800 Junckers were not made after 1918/19.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                            X