5 place medal bar grouping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 place medal bar grouping

Hello, this bar is interesting having the combatant and noncombatant versions of the Hindy Cross. I was told that either the bar is messed with or the original owner of the bar had it added. I guess somebody could serve in both capacities during the war but I have never seen a bar with both awards on it. Opinions are appreciated on the bar and the grouping itself
    Thanks
    John
    Attached Files

Re

-
    Attached Files

Comment

Re

--
      Attached Files

Comment

Re

---
        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting to see how the last medal changes from a cross to a medal half way through the presentation.

Comment

Allthough the awards seem original and the metal device on the bar itself, I believe the medalbar is doctored.
            To say, has been stripped of original awards and ribbons and re-built with new ones. These are my thoughts based on the different wear of the ribbons and the fact that the combination doesn't make sense.

But if it originally had the 1870/71 medal, it might be a different story...

Comment

Originally posted by Dansson View Post
              Allthough the awards seem original and the metal device on the bar itself, I believe the medalbar is doctored.
              To say, has been stripped of original awards and ribbons and re-built with new ones. These are my thoughts based on the different wear of the ribbons and the fact that the combination doesn't make sense.

But if it originally had the 1870/71 medal, it might be a different story...
              That must have been a "Kanonier" in his sixties then, earning the IC shortly before the armistice in september. Why he was called "Landsturm-Rekrut" a month later is another interesting question...
              Regards
              Hagrid

Comment

Rebuild bar seems to be the more logical explanation than the awarding of two Hindenburg Crosses displayed on the same medal bar and also wrongly as one would expect the HCs in that case to be next to each other. Furthermore the marks on the 'catches' on the backside of the medal bar seem to also indicative of rebuilding. The 60/70 year old lowly kanonier theory seems too outrageous to be believable.

Is there another medal that would match the last ribbon other than HC or that 1870-71 medal? (grasping at straws now)
                Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 01-06-2017, 06:59 AM.

Comment

The last award (ribbon and all) was most likely a TR era LS medal. Perhaps civil service. You see this alot were the evil nazi awards are removed for selling.
                  pseudo-expert

Comment

What makes me still wonder is the very stainy and worn ribbon on the end. All other ribbons seem mint.

Comment

Originally posted by Don D. View Post
                      The last award (ribbon and all) was most likely a TR era LS medal. Perhaps civil service. You see this alot were the evil nazi awards are removed for selling.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
                        Interesting to see how the last medal changes from a cross to a medal half way through the presentation.
                        Right, that's odd. First photo is a Noncom Hindy, then in a later photo a Noncom 1870 KDM on the same bar.
                        Best regards,
                        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

prongs on the rear certainly show evidence of being messed with.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X