Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German long service medal, but different from others like it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German long service medal, but different from others like it?

Hi,
    I'm a coin collector and don't know much about militaria. I picked up this silver medal, which I researched and found out it is a 9 year service medal from around WWI.
    My issue is: I've found several dozen examples online, all of which match the piece on the right side of the pictures below. My piece, pictured on the left, has clear differences in design and I have not been able to find a single one online that it matches.
    Notable differences are the style of the crown, the position and style of the lettering and the IX numerals being connected by top and bottom lines rather than separate. Mine also looks to be higher quality of design and manufacture.

So my questions - is this significant? Do I possibly have maybe an older and more rare version of this seemingly common medal? I would also appreciate any idea of what my piece may be worth, or if there is a catalog that lists it.

Thank you kindly!

I'm just guessing here but I would think that the difference is because they
    were most likely made by 2 different makers. There was quite a bit of
    artistic differences in Pre ww2 awards.

Comment

Hi,

this is a Prussian long service medal for enlisted soldiers and NCO, 2nd model, awarded 1913-1924. Rather common, worth ca. 15-20 €.

http://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deu...asse-1913.html

Yours on the left could be a later replacement

greetings
      Tomasz

Comment

There are a few versions out there.
        Mostly they were made of Argentan.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
        X