WW1 German Armband?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 German Armband?

What kind of armband is this. The seller says soldiers wore these armbands during the occupation of Brussels. He wants 75.00, but in this condition it hardly looks worth it. Maybe it's a rare one.Tell me what you think.
    Attached Files

Line- administrative office; commandant's office in Brussels? I looked up german abbreviations and this is what I came up with. Does it look WW1, the stamps? The condition seems pretty haggard , maybe I could clean it up a little and take out all those black loose threads hanging out of it? Still don't know if it would be worth the 75.00 though.

Comment

armband

Cannot make out the complete stamp, but it looks like Heeresfeldeisenbahn ----. Thus I would guess the wording to perhaps be "Linien-Kommandantur Bruessel. Clearly railway connected, but beyond that I do not know.

Comment

Oh Okay, not Army. An armband that was worn most likely with someone connected to the railroad maybe a army train worker?
        Last edited by stephen grund; 12-07-2016, 05:40 PM. Reason: change

Comment

army

On the contrary, it is stamped by an army field railway battalion and is military dealing with railways. There is a WW 2-era patch that has "Reichsbahn Direktion Bruessel" on it that this reminds me of, though the patch is a railroad insignia and not military. Nevertheless it points to the importance of Brussels being a critical junction in the rail system to the west of Germany.

Comment

Ww1 arm band

I don't like to be a nag, but don't clean or remove black threads unless you are restoration technologist. Also, condition, wear ,and things added (threads) helps one to find out the history of the piece. You can make a cloth artifact a piece only fit for the garbage can if you are not trained. Old Cloth is delicate and really quite fragile and shouldn't ,technically, be handled without gloves. Also,cloth collectors generally don't like things which have been cleaned/repaired. I may be too fussy, but I was a restoration tech for a museum . The best policy is don't mess with things. Please don't ask for cleaning hints because I don't have access to it and I wouldn't clean or remove threads from it anyway. Best to leave it alone and pass the information on to anyone you live with before a 600 euro piece accidentally goes in the washing machine. I have seen that happen too many times.

Comment

So is this WW1 or WW2, I'm confused.

Comment

It's from WWI. I have two similar railway examples in my WWI armband collection.

Chip

Comment

Okay Chip thanks for getting back to me. The condition this armband is in, I'm a little hesitant paying $75.00 plus shipping. I can't find anything to compare with in this forum, hardly any WW1 armbands at all. What do you think about the price, too high for an armband in this condition? It seems something like this would be around $50.00 tops?

Comment

Steve,

The condition is a problem, not horrible, but it's well used for sure. This does affect the value. I have paid $75 for an armband with a stamp you can barely see. The stamps here are much better. If you are really interested, perhaps you can make the seller an offer for purchase at a somewhat reduced price? I agree that $75 for a railway associated armband in this condition is too much. Should you ever want to move it along, you might be hard pressed to find someone interested in this non-combat specialty.

Chip

Comment

Regarding the Linien Kommandantur, you could find some info here: http://www.wintersonnenwende.com/scr...f/wer0803.html

E.L.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X