Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"A very amusing thing occurred. One of the Englishmen whom we had shot down and whom we had made a prisoner was talking with us. Of course he inquired after the Red Aeroplane. It is not unknown even among the troops in the trenches and is called by them "le diable rouge." In the Squadron to which he belonged there was a rumor that the Red Machine was occupied by a girl, by a kind of Jeanne d'Arc. He was intensely surprised when I assured him that the supposed girl was standing in front of him. He did not intend to make a joke. He was actually convinced that only a girl could sit in the extravagantly painted machine."
    Text from "The Red Fighter Pilot"
    Attached Files

Comment

Interesting story

Comment

Now that is a hoot! If the Germans had had more "girls" like him they might have won.

Comment

Girlyman.....in a deadly red! Not a chance. "The majority of his kills came flying the Albatros line of fighters, most notably the Albatros D.III."
          Attached Files

Comment

Great stuff Erickn, thanks. Sent you a PM, not sure if it works, let me know.

Comment

Hi Wilhelm,

Manfred has earned a break. Tomorrow, May 2 is his birthday

(another fine image from the web)
              Attached Files

Comment

100 years ago Manfred was ordered to return to Germany. He made this trip in the back of a two seater. With only a toothbrush in his pocket. True luxury awaited him. How must that have felt? He met numerous Generals, also Ludendorf, Hindenburg, and had lunch with the Kaiser. Millions of young ladies swooned over his fotos. This made him blush. Yes, tomorrow would be his 25th birthday. His last.

Baron von Richthofen's total victories through April 29, 1917;

Total planes shot down... 52

Total killed... 55

Total wounded or made prisoner... 26

Kaiser Wilhelm called this "marvelous success". He presented Manfred a heavy bronze and marble bust of the Ace in his flying gear.
                Last edited by Wilhelm; 05-01-2017, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Hello Wilhelm,

This image may coincide w/ Manfred's return....

1. Mai 1917, Manfred von Richthofen fährt in Urlaub. Zuerst nach Bad Kreuznach, ins kaiserliche Hauptquartier. 2. Mai 1917: 25. Geburtstag von Manfred von Richthofen. Am nächsten Tag wird er persönlich von der Kaiserin Augusta Viktoria
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yes Erickn, the Kaiserin had ordered Manfred to visit her. He was flown to the private airdrome on the estate where she was waiting to meet the new hero of the Vaterland. For his birthday she gave him a gold and white enameled cigarette case, with her name inscribed on it. Then she had him to lunch. He said she "seemed like a dear old aunt or grandmother." He was out of his element, he wanted to get back in the air with fingers on triggers.

Comment

The poem, "In Flanders Fields" was written on May 3, 1915- 102 years ago today. Probably one of the best known of all ww1 poems, very well remembered by Commonwealth nations/citizens every Nov 11...

Comment

100 years ago today, 4 May 1917, Oberleutnant Kurt Wolff of Jagdstaffel II was awarded the PLM. Beginning 6 March 1917 through Bloody April he scored 22 victories. His Albatros III was also painted red although the tailplane & elevators were painted green.
                        6 May he was assigned to command Jasta 29 replacing Leutnant Karl Allmenroeder who died in combat, until July 1917 returning to Jasta 11.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Kurt Wolff & MvR. Kurt met his fate on 15 Sept. 1917 in the Somme area with a tally of 33 victories at the age of 22.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Manfred's "vacation" was getting on his nerves. He requested permission to go to a State Hunting Preserve at Freiberg. Stalking the forest with his dogs and guns for game was just what he needed. Like a week at the seashore or a trip to the mountains for normal Volk.

Comment

100 years ago today, May 9, 1917, Manfred wrote to his mother from Freiburg;

Liebe Mamma;

I suppose you will be angry with me for having been in Germany for eight days without dropping you a line. I am shooting pheasants here and expect to remain here until the fourteenth. The sport is wonderful. After that I have to go to Berlin to look over new planes. That will take me about three days, and then for Schweidnitz.
                              Until then you will have to excuse me. From Schweidnitz I will ride over to the Prince of Pless's estate and bag an elk there. Toward the end of the month, I will look over the other fronts, the Balkens, etc. That will take from three to four weeks. In the meantime, Lothar is commanding my squadron and is, I think, slated for the Pour le Merite. How do you like your two bad boys?

Manfred

Comment

09 May 1917

Hi Wilhelm,

100 years ago today Manfred's bad boy brother Lothar scored his 21st victory. At 1830 hours he brought down a Bristol F.2b (A7110) N.E. of Fampoux. Manfred is right, Lothar will be awarded the PLM soon.

(source, Aerodome)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X