Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Baron was on leave 100 years ago. He was hunting elk in East Prussia. He was not well, the head wound had changed him. This quiet time in the deep forests was tonic for his nerves.

Comment

100 years ago Manfred wrote this letter to his mother;

Gotha, Schloss Hotel
      Sept. 30, 1917

Liebe Mamma:
      I was extremely glad to hear of Lothar's sudden recovery. On my return from leave we can again go up together and show the English a few tricks. We will be in the same squadron.
      My bag during the last fortnight has been far from bad - a large elk, three excellent stags, and a buck. I am rather proud of my record, because Papa has only shot three stags in all his life. I am leaving for Berlin today and will be with you in less than a week.

Manfred

Comment

Hi Wilhelm,

Lothar recently returned to Jasta 11 recuperating from his wounds received on 13 May ready to go once again.

MvR posing with kill # ???
        Attached Files

Comment

Great photos Erickn! Thanks for posting them. That is one big critter.

Comment

As planned 100 years ago Manfred went to Berlin. His week there caused much excitement. Everywhere he went he was welcomed as a hero. Young ladies were especially taken with the handsome officer. Next, he would spend a week at the family estate at Schweidnitz with his mother. This would be the last time she would see her eldest son.

Comment

Ladies....
              Attached Files

Comment

Manfred would have been a fantastic spouse for any Fraulein. A wealthy, landed, Baron, Rittmeister, and brave War Hero. There was one lady who interested him very much. I have not seen her name. But he knew he would not survive the war and did not want to leave her a widow. What a Mensch.

Comment

Wilhelm and Erick, this is a most excellent and enjoyable thread gentlemen, thanks for creating it!
                  Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Thank you John. Anyone is welcome to post here about WWI on the dates. Hard to believe it was 100 years ago. I knew lots of WWI vets when I was little. ZERO left now. History.

Comment

Thanks John, Kudos to Wilhelm , he's the Man! I'm a hitch hiker......

Overall 23 Pour le Me'rite awarded the month of October 1917. Two granted to Air Service, 4 to Navy, 15 to Army and 2 Foreign. One Oakleave to Army.
                      One year forward to Oct. 1918 would prove very busy.

Comment

"November found the ace and squadron commander back at the front." The first large scale tank attack would start on the 20th when the British machines would rumble forward at Cambrai. "These were the operations that brought the Allied offensive of 1917 to it's bloody, futile close."

Comment

Cambrai

The Battle of Cambrai launched 100 years ago by the BEF at 6:00 am on 20 November, and would last thru the first week of December 1917. This offensive was the earliest successful use of combined arms and tanks making an unprecedented breakthrough German lines by more than 10,000 yards. Cambrai, a relativity quite section of the Hindenburg Line, was chosen due to the suitable terrain for tanks along with being a principal railway intersection and the location of German garrisons. 476 +/- Mark IV Tanks moved against the German lines creating a gap for the Infantry to move through but failed to take full advantage of holding the new land eventually allowing the Germans to launch the largest counter attack since 1914 pushing the BEF back regaining lost ground. The British were not prepared for their early victory and the success surprised both the Germans & British. Aggressively attacked by German artillery and Infantry on the second day, only half of the British Tanks remained operational due to destruction and mechanical failure. Within 10 days the Germans recovered most of the lost ground. Another bloody offensive on the Western Front. One source (Yves Le Maner, Director of La Coupole History and Remembrance Centre of Northern France)states British casualties 44,000 with 6000 prisoners and German casualties 45,000 with 10,000 prisoners taken. (Casualty counts vary between authors)<O></O>
                          Attached Files

Comment

Artist impression of battle Cambrai
                            Attached Files

Comment

Cambrai

Attached Files

Comment

As always great photos Erickn, thanks. Just think of those poor Huns in the first trench when they saw those monsters coming in. Hard to believe there was still another year of slaughter left. Good thing it was "The War to End All Wars."

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X