I hope no one is bidding on this

http://www.ebay.de/itm/112026288296?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The seller is part of "the club."
    Attached Files
    pseudo-expert

Attached Files
    pseudo-expert

Comment

2 ribbons are fake (EK and Schlesien), and 2 more are suspicious so stay away as Don says...

Comment

Originally posted by VonPeter View Post
        2 ribbons are fake (EK and Schlesien), and 2 more are suspicious so stay away as Don says...
        The ribbons are the least of it.

At the very least, the SAII, Baltic Cross and Iron Division Medal are all well-known fakes.

It's over 300 Euros. But, I believe these bids are fake.

If this bar was real, the bids would be fast and furious and probably upwards of 800+ Euros by now. Iron Division Medals alone are worth 600 Euros or more.

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
          The ribbons are the least of it.

At the very least, the SAII, Baltic Cross and Iron Division Medal are all well-known fakes.

It's over 300 Euros. But, I believe these bids are fake.

If this bar was real, the bids would be fast and furious and probably upwards of 800+ Euros by now. Iron Division Medals alone are worth 600 Euros or more.
          Ok, I am not good with those medals so it was the ribbons that immediately killed the bar for me... But if there is so many faults with the bar it reduces the risks that a collector will be fooled, so thats a good thing.

Comment

I think the Ek2 is probably fake as well.

Comment

Only problem I see is some in-experienced or new to collecting is going to be stung with this medal bar and give up on starting to collecting Imperial items

Comment

Originally posted by pzrwest View Post
                Only problem I see is some in-experienced or new to collecting is going to be stung with this medal bar and give up on starting to collecting Imperial items
                You are right, I for one I am always afraid to buy with asking experienced members first, there is lots of fakes for sale, some are easy to spot but others not so.
                Alf.

Comment

Originally posted by pzrwest View Post
                  Fortunately, there are plenty of Imperial experts around to hopefully steer new collectors away from bogus material.

Unfortunately, the issue with this bar is that it's aimed at Freikorps collectors who are increasing exponentially, but who for the most part lack knowledge. Unlike Imperial, Freikorps experts are few and far between. So, the chances of newer collectors getting burned is much higher.

Comment

" Unfortunately, the issue with this bar is that it's aimed at Freikorps collectors "

Can you please explain why you said this, why it is aimed at Freikorps collectors.
                    thank You
                    Alf

Comment

Maybe it's the 3 Freikorps Medals on it!
                      All desirable especially the Eisern Division. Chuck in the Anhalt and EK2 and you have a hard core old fighter.

Comment

Bars made with the club's fakes will also be used in the future to "vet" their wares.
                        pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by mp409mm View Post
                          " Unfortunately, the issue with this bar is that it's aimed at Freikorps collectors "

Can you please explain why you said this, why it is aimed at Freikorps collectors.
                          thank You
                          Alf
                          As has been stated, there are 3 Freikorps medals on it: Silesian Eagle II, Baltic Cross and Iron Division Medal. As I already said below, the Iron Division is rare (only 3000 awarded) and worth on its own at least 600 Euros.

The Imperial medals are all common and not the draw here. Freikorps medal bars, especially with an Iron Division medal are very rare. As medal bars were usually re-mounted after the introduction of the Hindy in 1934 and the ban on Freikorps awards in 1935 which would have dis-allowed the Iron Division medal (althought the Silesian Eagle and Baltic Cross remained official), most Freikorps bars were broken up. So, surviving examples are rare, especially those for the Baltic campaign.

The combination on this bar while ok as far as it goes is incomplete. A real Baltic Fighter Freikorps bar would likely have also included at least two other Freikorps awards: The Soldier's Settlement Association Kurland medal (SSVK) and the St. George Medal for the Russian Westarmee. As well, It shouldn't have a combattant Hindy on the end. It did occasionally happen, if the guy wasn't actively serving and being a bit defiant. But, it was frowned upon and quite uncommon, for the most part. Therefore, the Hindy doesn't make sense based on TR regulations.

I started collecting Freikorps in 1969 and since then have only owned two Freikorps medal bars and probably seen no more than a half dozen or so with other Freikorps awards, beyond those with the Third Reich-sanctioned Silesian Eagle and Baltic cross, which are comparatively common.

So, this bar, if genuine and proper would pull bids from pretty well every Freikorps collector out there, including me.

Any Freikorps medal bar is worth considerably more than the sum of its parts.

As an example, here is an pretty rare and genuine Imperial/Freikorps combo medal bar with the Silesian Eagle II and the scarce III Marine-Brigade Loewenfeld Merit Cross II class. The medals individually would be worth about 500 Euros in total (with most of the value in the Loewenfeld cross). But, mounted on a bar, because of the scarcity of such a mounted group, the value goes up to about 750 Euros and probably more.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Brian L.; 06-24-2016, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                            As has been stated, there are 3 Freikorps medals on it: Silesian Eagle II, Baltic Cross and Iron Division Medal. As I already said below, the Iron Division is rare (only 3000 awarded) and worth on its own at least 600 Euros.

The Imperial medals are all common and not the draw here. Freikorps medal bars, especially with an Iron Division medal are very rare. As medal bars were usually re-mounted after the introduction of the Hindy in 1934 and the ban on Freikorps awards in 1935 which would have dis-allowed the Iron Division medal (althought the Silesian Eagle and Baltic Cross remained official), most Freikorps bars were broken up. So, surviving examples are rare, especially those for the Baltic campaign.

The combination on this bar while ok as far as it goes is incomplete. A real Baltic Fighter Freikorps bar would likely have also included at least two other Freikorps awards: The Soldier's Settlement Association Kurland medal (SSVK) and the St. George Medal for the Russian Westarmee. As well, It shouldn't have a combattant Hindy on the end. It did occasionally happen, if the guy wasn't actively serving and being a bit defiant. But, it was frowned upon and quite uncommon, for the most part. Therefore, the Hindy doesn't make sense based on TR regulations.

I started collecting Freikorps in 1969 and since then have only owned two Freikorps medal bars and probably seen no more than a half dozen or so with other Freikorps awards, beyond those with the Third Reich-sanctioned Silesian Eagle and Baltic cross, which are comparatively common.

So, this bar, if genuine and proper would pull bids from pretty well every Freikorps collector out there, including me.

Any Freikorps medal bar is worth considerably more than the sum of its parts.

As an example, here is an pretty rare and genuine Imperial/Freikorps combo medal bar with the Silesian Eagle II and the scarce III Marine-Brigade Loewenfeld Merit Cross II class. The medals individually would be worth about 500 Euros in total (with most of the value in the Loewenfeld cross). But, mounted on a bar, because of the scarcity of such a mounted group, the value goes up to about 750 Euros and probably more.
                            Wow, that is a very informative explanation with lots of information. Many Thanks.
                            Alf.

Comment

The final bid was 560 EUR. I believe that it was bought back and nobody actually bid on this but the seller's proxy. The whole auction, like the group was fake.

By the way, if this group was legit, it would have sold for at least 1200 EUR.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X