Identification of ribbon bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identification of ribbon bar

I have owned this piece for a couple of decades and don't even remember the source. Way before the internet for sure...
    Anyway is it German WW1?
    I recognize the EK2 ribbon (#1) and the Hindenburg Cross (#3), those are easy!

But what are the other ribbons? #2 , #4 and # 6 ? Austro-Hungarian maybe?
    Attached Files

2 looks to be a faded Hamburg Hanseatic Cross, the last two are Hungarian and Bulgarian commemorative medals.

Comment

I think this one?
      Austro/Hungarian WWI “Pro Deo et Patria” Medal
      and
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NickG; 01-04-2016, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Hi Nick,

I believe, if the colour in the #2 is white:

#2 - Hamburger Hanseatenkreuz
        #4 - Ungarische Weltkriegs-Erinnerungsmedaille - Commemorative Medal of the War of 1914-18
        #5 - Bulgarian Commemorative Medal of the War of 1915-1918

Best Regards

Antonio

Comment

Thanks OK I found an example... Hanseatic Iron Cross...

So this mixed nationality bar was worn by a German or Austro-Hungarian KuK soldier?
          Most likely Austro Hungarian than, right? (probably not a Bulgarian one right?)

I think I found the Bulgarian example here! Thanks!

http://www.johnnyg.westhost.com/go1345.html

Unfortunately it is not the same set...
          I would love to find the entire set as mounted medals!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by NickG; 01-04-2016, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I understand the last two could be purchased, so more likely a German as no other Kuk awards. The combination is not that common with the Hamburg cross but very common without. You should be able to find a full size bar, might take a while.

Comment

Since the bar has the EK2 in the first position and the Hanseatenkreuz in the 2nd spot
              it is most likely worn by a German national, right? German medals first...(another indicator)
              An Austro-Hungarian soldier would have all the foreign medals at the end, like here...right?
              (Austro Hungarian example...EK2 at the very end...a foreign medal)
              Attached Files

Comment

Bar is post 1934, owner could have been Austrian if he had it made up after the Anschluss, but yes more likely a German that chose to jazz it up a little.

Comment

I have no idea on the written criteria for awarding of the Hungarian and Bulgarian medals, but I always thought they were given to German soldiers who fought with Hungarian and Bulgarian forces in their theaters of the war. Maybe when I get a chance I can research it, but I bet there's someone on the forum who knows the answer..
                  Dale

Comment

Here's what I could find on the Bulgarian medal - http://antique-photos.com/en/awardsd...opean-war.html. I struck out on the Hungarian medals as to information on awarding to foreigners. It's not exactly clear, but it seems like at least for the Bulgarian medal all a German veteran had to do was buy it, though I would assume he had to present something showing he had participated in the war. Whether he had to operate in the Bulgarian or Hungarian theater still isn't clear to me.
                    Dale

Comment

Good info guys!
                      So the Hindenburg Cross was instituted on 13 July 1934, which makes this bar 1934 or later...and the Bulgarian medal was also instituted in the 1930's
                      as a commemorative medal for WW1 service in the Bulgarian theatre. Interesting to read in that link that this Bulgarian award was struck in Germany, Switzerland and Bulgaria!
                      I put it on a Third Reich Polizei uniform which would be appropriate...(WW1 veteran). Thanks!

Comment

Close, but missing the Hamburg Cross...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice set Scott!

I do believe that both the commemoratives could be purchased without any proof of service in those theaters. I will try and dig out some info to validate this. It seems lot of vets did this as they appear on bars often. In terms of look they certainly add to a bar in a way that some of the vets association medals do not, Imo. It's nice to see other central powers represented even if they were purchased.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X