Rare Militärpass Gem from eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first page of his pass and a list of his 1916-18 actions, including the occupation of the Ukraine from June-December 1918. That he survived these battles is astounding.

Here are some of the actions.

ab 29. November --- Stellungskämpfe zwischen Krewo-Smorgon-Naratschsee-Tweretsch

bis 17. September --- Stellungskämpfe zwischen Krewo-Smorgon-Naratschsee-Tweretsch
    23. Januar bis 3. Februar --- Winterschlacht an der Aa (Teile der Division)
    19. bis 27. Juli --- Abwehrschlacht Smorgon-Krewo
    18. September bis 5. Dezember --- Stellungskämpfe zwischen Njemen-Beresina-Krewo-Smorgon-Narotschsee-Tweretsch
    6. bis 17. Dezember --- Waffenruhe
    ab 17. Dezember --- Waffenstillstand auf der rumänischen Front

bis 18. Februar --- Waffenstillstand auf der rumänischen Front
    18. Februar bis 3. März --- Verfolgungskämpfe durch Weißruthenien
    3. März bis 26. April --- Okkupation großrussischen Gebietes
    22. June bis 30. December --- Okkupation der Ukraine

The last entry on the action list is actually "Besatzung der Ukraine" or Occupation of the Ukraine.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian L.; 07-24-2015, 09:43 PM.

I acquired this gem of a Militärpass awhile ago on eBay for the modest sum of 20 EUR principally because of the Freikorps connection which is my main area of interest.

I got around to researching it fully yesterday and suddenly realized what I had. I suspect that if the eBay seller had taken the time to describe the pass in detail, it would have gone for several times what I paid as it is a scarce piece of the important history of German actions on the eastern front, particularly because it involves a very celebrated German regiment in some of the last battles of the Imperial Russian Army before the revolution.

What's the most interesting is that the recipient, Unteroffizier Theodor Heinrich Schultz was in Landwehr IR 2. and fought in the Battle of Smorgon and Krewo and all the other actions of 226th Inf. Division from 1916-1918. He served in occupation forces in Ukraine from June-Dec. 1918 and then was in the Freikorps in Batl. 22 (part of Schutztruppe Bug) from Dec. 30, 1918 until he mustered out on February 26, 1919 just before Schutztruppe Bug was absorbed into Brigade Olita.

He was awarded the EKII, Black Wound Badge and the Bug Abzeichen der Schutztruppe Bug (Bug Star).

The battle of Smorgon and Krewo was a defensive battle involving The Landwehr Infantry-Regiment Nr. 2., which defended against at least two major Russian attacks between the 2-24 July 1917 resulting in extremely heavy casualties for the regiment.

Approximate translation from the regimental history about the battle and the actions of Landwehr IR 2.:

"The German trenches were defended by Landwehr troops. On the 22th July eight Russian divisions attacked two German divisions at Smorgon. After they broke through on a 5km wide front and advanced 2km deep, German reserve troops, principally Landwehr IR 2. stopped the attack and the German artillery drove the Russians back."

As a result of the brave defence and heavy losses of the regiment, the Kaiser awarded it with the "All Highest Cabinet Order of 29 July 1917", giving the Regiment his "Namesake".

The Regiment from then on was to be known as, 'Landwehr Infantry-Regiment Kaiser Wilhelm II Nr. 2.', with The Kaiser as "Chef des Regiments”.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian L.; 07-24-2015, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing plenty of details about this doc. Enjoyed the reading and your paper jewel
      Last edited by otter76; 07-25-2015, 06:58 AM.

Comment

With personal docs like these the devil is in the details. If you know what you are looking at you can find some gems.

Nice score Brian.
        pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don D. View Post
          With personal docs like these the devil is in the details. If you know what you are looking at you can find some gems.

Nice score Brian.
          Thanks Don. While not flashy like an order or medal, I like these because each tells parts of a unique story which with a little research can reveal some amazing history. I like to puzzle these out and fill in the gaps. I think they are an under-valued area of collecting.

Comment

As I was corrected on the another forum, the new name of the regiment was actually "Landwehr Infanterie Regiment König Wilhelm II. Nr.2".

Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Chip M View Post
              As I was corrected on the another forum, the new name of the regiment was actually "Landwehr Infanterie Regiment König Wilhelm II. Nr.2".

Chip
              Yes. I had copied the information from a research site, without cross-referencing. I obviously didn't look closely enough at large red stamp that says just that.

It was actually the thread and info on the 'other' forum (GMIC) that helped me discover what this pass was. And you're right Chip (re: GMIC). It is very interesting that they got to change their shoulder straps to include Wilhelm's cypher.

Do you happen to have the shoulder strap? A 'before' and 'after' would be quite interesting. The name and shoulder board change is equivalent to a unit battlefied citation a la the US armed forces. I personally think this must have been a very big deal, especially for a Landwehr regiment.
              Last edited by Brian L.; 07-27-2015, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Another example where knowledge and experience makes the difference and opens up exciting possibilities.
                Nice score, glad that it was found by someone that can really appreciates it.
                Thank you,
                Vellocino

Comment

Originally posted by vellocino View Post
                  Another example where knowledge and experience makes the difference and opens up exciting possibilities.

Perfect resumè of what a collector must be.
                  Many many compliments for your catch and the excellent research done!!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words and support.

I consider myself lucky to have learned to read old German cursive writing known as Kurrentschrift (although still with some difficulty sometimes) thanks to my father who was an expert at hand-lettering and as a life-long typographer mentored me when I was a kid. He had printer's ink in his veins and I think passed some onto me.

As an aside, he was the editor, designer and main type-setter for the "Recce Flash" the newspaper of the 400 (Recce) Squadron, RCAF during WWII (when he wasn't servicing the guns on Tomakawks, Mustangs, Spitfires and Mosquitoes).

Comment

Ive learned a tremendous amount from bolewts58's posts, your prior militarpass posts have inspired me to comprehend German cursive.... its a long road to tread, but I have the time. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

Comment

Originally posted by mchap View Post
                        Ive learned a tremendous amount from bolewts58's posts, your prior militarpass posts have inspired me to comprehend German cursive.... its a long road to tread, but I have the time. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!
                        Thanks. I will get around to posting more Freikorps Militärpassen on the Freikorps forum soon. I only have about 30 or so to research. It's not a huge collection. But, it's difficult to find passes with Freikorps service, especially since now I usually try to collect only those that have Freikorps unit stamps.

Brian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                        X