EK1 Sy-Wagner opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK1 Sy-Wagner opinions please

First of all, I'm Marmañan from Spain... new in this forum and collector of german coins from the german empires...

Recently I have adquired a EK1 from Militaria-Berlin ( a perfect deal with a very kind people!).

What is your opinion of this cross and what can you say about his history ( I'm totally new in this world):

The case with the image of the cross:

The cross:

The rear part of the cross:

Details of the marks on the rear part:

As far as I know this is an original Sy-Wagner cross... but can you help me with this:

- What is the 6 mark below the needle?
    - What can you tell me about the image of the cross in the case? Why they put a 1914/15 lettering?:

Thank you very much and best regards!

- What is the 6 mark below the needle?
    - What can you tell me about the image of the cross in the case? Why they put a 1914/15 lettering?:

Hi Marmañan and welcome to the forum.

You have a very nice ek1 and early etui.
    To answer your questions:

The reason of the 6 is unknown, some speculations say it is a quality or batch mark.
    The 1914/15 on the case means that the case dates from a time that the war was thought to have ended in 1915. That dates it to ... 1915!

Best regards,
    Michel

Comment

Hi Marmañan,

EK1s can be divided into two basic categories: a) award types, and b) private purchase types.

Awarded types are usually (some would say always) flat, made of silver, with a simple hinged pin on the reverse. Private purchase types can also have these characteristics, but can also be vaulted, or have different or elaborate hardware on the reverse. Examples would be screwbacks, pin-locks, or complex mechanisms like the "ladder catch."

The period of manufacture for an EK1 is determined by the style of pin hardware, sometimes the frame and core types, and also the materials and marks. With S-W, marks don't mean much since they never changed the mark at any time during the war. But the pin hardware style (not the earliest type, but pretty early), the silver content (no 800 mark, which was used later in the war) and the core type (stamped steel, not cast iron) on your EK1 tell me that it is an award-type EK1 from c. 1915-1916.
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Nice 1914/1915 Iron cross first class
        In a ,,,Also nice 1914/1915 case

Nice catch

regards kay

Comment

Really nice set!

Stefano

Comment

Hi, and thanks to everyone

Streptile, thanks for your explanation! theoretically, wich part is made of silver? the pin and the rear are silver too?

Do you mean that probably, the case and the cross are from the same year, more or less?

How can I preserve the cross from the pass of the years? better display it inside a cabinet, or keep it inside a Polypropilene free bag?

thank you again!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X