• Show
Clear All

Ersatz bayonet with brass handle for G88

Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

My new find...seems to me like bayonet for Gewehr 88 ?
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice!

I don't understand the use of brass in an erzats bayonet? Thought they needed that material for the ammunition shells?

Anyway nice item!

Comment

Originally posted by morel5000 View Post
            Nice!

I don't understand the use of brass in an erzats bayonet? Thought they needed that material for the ammunition shells?

Anyway nice item!
            I do not understant it too.... brass was more rare then clasic metal..maybe it was faster then wooden and metal made....

Comment

That blade looks like a "beute Klinge", maybe french?

Comment

I know it sounds little unrealistic , but it is the real , original Ersatz bayonet with pretty typical blade - one of hundreds models and variations . This particular model was made more due to simplify the manufacturing process then safe on material - brass in this case . It's from the beginning of the period of simplifying , replacing anything in any possible way .... I would say end of 1914 to end of 1915 ... after that you can see only continuation of many traditional models and huge amount of ersatz ones , but steel only .
                We shouldn't forget that the beginning of the war was the biggest and most rapid expansion of the army .
                best
                Kornel

Comment

kernel is correct, these are early war pieces when they needed to equip large numbers of men very quickly and there are many many variations. They are not of late war "desperation" manufacture as used to be thought.
                  I like this one a lot, basic one but still of high quality.

J
                  I really like this

Comment

I'm with Kornel too... Anyway, it's a nice and rare early war ersatz! Congratulations!

Adler 1

Comment

Nice find. In Carter's ersatz bayonet book he lists it as a model EB21 fitting a Gew. 98 (smaller diameter muzzle ring and closer to the hilt than a ring for a Gew. 88).

Comment

nice 'ersatz" model

Comment

Did the navy ever use any of these at the time? Sometimes brass items in bayo's were made for resisting rust...even though the blades are still steel....just asking as a possibility.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X