Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imperial U- Boot badge

Greetings All!

I have a simple question to pose: Do any original Imperial U-Boat badges have vertical pins?

All the pictures I've seen show only badges with horizontal pins. I recently saw an example of this badge that looked very nice and was purported to be authentic. It had great detail and appropriate patina. However, it has a vertical pin which was marked with a number on the outer surface.

I know, "POST PHOTOS!!!!" Unfortunately , I was shown the badge spontaneously & I wasn't prepared with a camera. I've been promised access again & I will get some shots then. However, I thought that, even without photos, mine would be a safe question to ask.

Outside the Iron Cross, I don't collect much in the Imperial arena so my level of here expertise is nil.

Thanks!

Hi Chris. Go to Germanwarbooty.com. He has a hollowback version for sale with a vertical pin assembly. I personally have never seen a solid back with a vertical pin. Regards, Ron.

Comment

U-Boat Badge Question: The Photos

Well, the owner came through; here are the promised photos. I look forward to additional comments.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ChrisS5917; 06-04-2015, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I would not want that one.
        pseudo-expert

Comment

U-Boat BAdge

Originally posted by Don D. View Post
          I would not want that one.

Don-
          Does this affirm the vertical pin is incorrect?

Thanks,
          Chris

Comment

I'm not sure if a solid uboot badge ever utilized a vertical pin but imo this badge is a recent fake.
            pseudo-expert

Comment

I was eating when I saw that. Now I have to clean my screen.

Seriously, a fake made from decent basemetal but the orientation of the pin is not really a factor in this case when the badge itself is bad.

Most WW1/20s/30s originals used a horizontal pin but there are exceptions I'm sure.

Regards
              Mike
              Regards
              Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
                I was eating when I saw that. Now I have to clean my screen.

Seriously, a fake made from decent basemetal but the orientation of the pin is not really a factor in this case when the badge itself is bad.

Most WW1/20s/30s originals used a horizontal pin but there are exceptions I'm sure.

Regards
                Mike
                Originally posted by Don D. View Post
                I'm not sure if a solid uboot badge ever utilized a vertical pin but imo this badge is a recent fake.

Thank you both, Gents. I appreciate your comments and, Mike, sorry about the screen...

In regard to this badge, I was questioning only the use of the vertical pin. I was unable to find an image of an original Imperial UB badge with such a pin. Perhaps I overthink the process but I simply can't understand why someone would go to the effort of creating a fake badge, then include such an obvious fault. I just couldn't help but wonder if I was missing something.

Well, the owner (who is not a collector) likes the badge so who am I to torpedo his happiness...

Regrds,

Comment

Apart from everything already mentioned, the brown patina, particulary noticeable on the back was artificially created with an oxidizing chemical and then rubbed away in order to make it seem random. It appears that there are partial finger prints left in the residue on the left an right side, probably because the chemical wasn't completely dry when the badge was being handled.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X