X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How she looks now and back in the 60's.
    Attached Files

Comment

I did a thread count and it's approx 80 per inch.

Compared to the other fabric which is about 30 per inch.
      Attached Files

Comment

I like the look of the fabric,although no expert, I am less comfortable with the writing on reverse.Ferg

Comment

I'm still on the fence about it to be honest. If the fake pieces from the 1960's that Chris has look the same, then we will know for sure I guess.

Comment

Chris, put the bottle of Scotch down and post those photos!

Comment

Put the bottle down??? Blasphemy---it might spill!!

Sorry for the delay guys, it takes me a while to get the old fourth-point-of-contact in gear.

Here are two pieces of fabric that I have had that are reproductions. The first is interesting, due to the way the grouping was made up. The grouping was basically built around an old typewritten note detailing a shoot down of a German pilot, and the capture of these badges. It was always interesting, that the whole letter detailing this was cut down to just the mention of the badges and fabric. I've several researching friends who tell me this was a popular was to reproduce items in the 70's.

The fabric looks like cotton which is wrong for German aircraft. It also does not match the 50 square threads rule. I am going to post what was told to me by the grandfather of fabric collection as we go.
              Attached Files

Comment

More shots, the IC on the fabric appears the wrong side, and the 1918 marking don't match the writing on Fokker or Pfaltz fabric I have seen.
                Attached Files

Comment

more
                  Attached Files

Comment

The fabric is brittle and worn, well worn in fact. There was also some burn marks placed years ago
                    Attached Files

Comment

a good look at the 18. Now I cant explain the difference in German fabric between printed and painted Lozenge fabrics. German stuff is not my specialty, in fact I avoid it due to the high reproduction rate compared to French/American

In these cases, the paint is the true determination of originality. Not only the composition but the color
                      Attached Files

Comment

txt
                        Attached Files

Comment

txt2
                          Attached Files

Comment

How the grouping came.

What makes groupings like this so tough is the way they are presented. Airplanes were an anomaly in 1916-1918. When one flew by or crashed it garnered a lot of interest. If you look at photos of crashed planes, within a half an hour, they were stripped of all their fabric for souvenirs. There exist a lot of good, small fabric sections in the world, because of this practice. And the repro artists have tried to reproduce this phenomenon.

I always found it odd that, in the letter, only the part about the souvenirs survived --
                            Attached Files

Comment

MOre

Comment

More elaborate, but no less fake. This again, was thought to be 100 percent original until some details came out on the construction. The previous owner had this for quite some time, and was told it was an original piece from an Eindecker. However, it was fake, and makes a good study of the fakes. I'm going to present some information given to be about this piece from Alan Tolle. He is one of the best experts on WWI fabric there is, if not the best.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X