PLM documents value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLM documents value

I am not familiar with the value of documents. Does anyone have an idea of the ballpark value of the following documents (all together). I know this is sketchy for details, but just a ballpark estimate would be very much appreciated.

1. PLM
    2. Austian oder of the crown third class
    3. wurttemberg officer's cross
    4. wurttemberg knights cross 1st class
    5. order of the white falcon knights cross 1st class with swords
    6. autria military merit cross
    7. EK1 and EKII
    8. Albert order knights cross
    9. order of the Zahringer lion 1st class with swords
    10. ernestine house order knights cross first class with swords

There are a few other award docs for "lesser" awards, but these are the high points.

The awards are to a general in WW1.
    Last edited by blind pew; 11-23-2014, 11:55 AM.

Being the group belonging to the same person, the value is made by the group as a whole and after the name (and personal, historical role) of the General.

Comment

Originally posted by Elmar Lang View Post
      Being the group belonging to the same person, the value is made by the group as a whole and after the name (and personal, historical role) of the General.
      Von vollard bockelberg

Comment

Originally posted by blind pew View Post
        Von vollard bockelberg
        I have most of the medals, but not the documents.

Asking price is $20K for the documents.

I noticed the US national WW1 museum in Kansas City does not have an original PLM (let alone the grouping or the docs) and I was thinking about loaning the whole thing (docs and medals) for display for 1-3 years.

I discovered that you cannot get crap for deductions anymore if you donate to museums, so it seems loaning at no cost is the way to go.

Comment

Anyone? No one with any thoughts?

Comment

well, despite no inputs on apparent value (imperial document groups are stated to be tough to value), the entire PLM grouping (with medals and documents) have been reunited.

Interestingly, in addition to the award docs for WW1, there are award docs for ww2, two personally signed documents by Hitler, and multiple communications with the german government through 1944. The most interesting is an evaluation of Russian industrial capabilities in 1934, in which Bockelberg suggests that a military engagement with Russia would end in failure.

Very interesting documents with REAMS of personal communications (some of very interesting historical significance) as well, of course, all of the documents for imperial as well as ww2 awards.

I paid the requested $18K in a trade for ww2 items (which were very nice). Given that these items do not come up for sale very often, it is difficult for us as collectors to assign value. The value, of course, becomes much higher to one who holds the medals and is able to establish a complete grouping. Perhaps this number would be a high end reference point for future groupings, given that this was to a general and had fairly interesting historical significance both for ww1 and ww2.

Sadly, I contacted the curator at the US national WW1 museum in Kansas City to loan this grouping, as well as another very nice U-boat PLM grouping with all of the medals, photos, and documents, for display. The curator stated that they cannot take personal "loans"(it is free) for insurance purpose, despite my documenting that my personal home owners insurance would continue to cover the items. Even more sad is the fact that the museum does not have an original PLM at all, and just has two reproductions. A little bummed out, as I thought they would love to have them.

There you have it.
            Last edited by blind pew; 12-26-2014, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I think that most likely the lack of replies to your post was do to
              the fact that none of us really have a clue as to what the value of
              these items would be. Most of use only dream of owning a PLM yet
              alone an entire documented grouping.

Personally I think you are better off not donating your items to a
              museum. I have heard more than one horror story of people
              lending items to museums for short peroids only to never get them
              back.

Comment

I would certainly like to see this grouping.
                pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post

back.
                  Agree with both points and I, too, would love to see this group.

Comment

back.

your not the only one who heard those story's,,,,in all collecting fields it is seen that museums can be a horror experience .

one thing is sure ,museums don't care for the item ,,just care for the prestige of having the item .
                    in fact ,having the military items are just a way of making money and having more prestige ,,

regards kay

Comment

Hermann von Heyden, one of the greatest medal collectors across the 19th and the early 20th Century, when the auctions of his collection started, a man asked him why his medals and decorations wouldn't be donated to a museum, and this was his reply: "a collection should live in the future collections!".

How true, is this sentence!

E.L.

Comment

back.
                        Yes- I agree

The value of such documents (due to the fact that they do not come up very often) is very difficult to determine. I, for one, did not have a clue about value and was hoping for a long shot on someone being able to provide a ballpark figure. I am sure that if this information was known, someone would have posted.

I talked to the ww1 museum about donating, but found that I could only deduct about 20% of the value of both groupings from my taxes. I thought that was a little low, and given the value of both groupings was not wild about the low tax write-off.

I will try to post some images over the New Years holiday for anyone interested. There are REAMS of documents (beyond the award docs).

Comment

Sounds REALLY interesting!!!

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X