Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kuk Pioniersäbel M1915

Hi, mates !

Want to show you the Österreichisch-ungarischen Pioniersäbel Modell 1915, (Austrian-hungarian sapper´s saber 1915 pattern).
    This sabers you also can term as Faschinenmesser, (fascine-knife).

Such blank-weapon´s also were in use in Arty-units.

overall lenght: ca. 54 cm
    blade lenght: ca. 39 cm
    width of the blade: ca. 4 cm
    thickness of the blade: ca. 6 mm

I´m very glad to own an image of an Austrian soldier, carrying such weapon / tool !

Best regards,

R.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Reibert-Austria; 02-16-2014, 07:26 AM.

Even here in Austria it isn´t that easy to get an decent Kuk M1915 sapper´s sabre !
    Attached Files

Comment

Some of the sabers were marked upon the cross guard:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Reibert-Austria; 02-16-2014, 07:15 AM.

Comment

The FA stands for Festungs-Artillerie, (Fortress Artillery).

Sometimes the unit was stamped upon the angle of the weapon.

BTW, several maker´s in Austria-Hungary manufactured this pattern fascine-knife.
        Attached Files

Comment

Great photos and information.
          Thanks for posting them

Comment

Fine pictures of an interesting, edged weapon.

I find the picture very intriguing... I try to imagine the troubles of that soldier, if in need to use the gas mask... that long beard would make any face-protection against poisonous gases useless...

Best wishes,

E.L.

Comment

Originally posted by Elmar Lang View Post

... I try to imagine the troubles of that soldier, if in need to use the gas mask... that long beard would make any face-protection against poisonous gases useless...

... .
              Certainly the Grunt stored some rations in his mask-canister ...
              In the war in the high mountains it was not very presumable, to face an gas-attack !

Comment

Very nice Reibert. We occasionally see this and the earlier model here in the States. I especially like the belt and steel buckle. This pattern buckle rarely is found here. Most often, they are very worn with little paint left.

Chip

Comment

Hi!

A very, very nice pic!

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

From the looks of the weapon in the picture it must have some weight to it the way it pulls his belt down. This "sword" kind of reminds me of the Civil War short swords the artillery soldiers wore

Comment

Originally posted by Reibert-Austria View Post
                      Certainly the Grunt stored some rations in his mask-canister ...
                      In the war in the high mountains it was not very presumable, to face an gas-attack !
                      Oh well... looking at this soldier's first decoration of the two he's proudly showing (the Eisernes Verdienstkreuz ohne Krone), I don't think that he could have been fighting in the high mountains. He'd have been almost surely serving in a support unit in the rear lines.

My grandfather was an officer of the II, then I Landesschützen/Kaiserschützen Regiment and fought in the Hochgebirgsfront (Adamello, Presena-Gletscher, etc.); I still have a picture of him with the white suit used in his Hochgebirgskompagnie (High Mountain Company), wearing the gas mask. In more than one occasion, they and their Italian opponents used chlor and fosgene gases, sometimes sprayed into the tunnels excavated in the ice or rock, through holes drilled from one tunnel to another.

All the best,

E.L.

Comment

Originally posted by Elmar Lang View Post
                        Oh well... looking at this soldier's first decoration of the two he's proudly showing (the Eisernes Verdienstkreuz ohne Krone), I don't think that he could have been fighting in the high mountains. He'd have been almost surely serving in a support unit in the rear lines.
                        Servus, Elmar !

Due to the decorations you can determine the soldiers unit ? ...

Please, don´t forget, Standschützen and Freiwillige Schützen, (Kids and elder men !), were fighting in the high mountains also.

Here´re some images of Kuk-soldier´s, some of them carrying the Mannlicher M95 "Not-Bajonett", ("substitute-bayonet").

Best regards,

R.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello

Nice thread with great pictures

Best Buckeru

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X