Stein Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stein Questions.

Just starting taking an interest in Military steins and was hoping I can get a question answered.

I found a couple of Stein Collectors sites and both stated that the first thing to look for on an original is , if they are marked "Made in Germany". I have a couple of modern made German Steins and they are marked this way.

But is this relevant to Imperial German Period steins?????

Thanks for your time.

steins

"Made in Germany" would usually be on export items. Original military "steins" will not have this marked on them. There are plenty of reproduction military "steins" available and it is most useful to handle both originals and repros to understand the differences.

Comment

I thought this was relevant to export items.

Thank you for the answer.

Comment

Some civilian steins exported to the USA & rest of the world do have "Made in Germany" or just "Germany" on them. Not sure when they started doing it, 1850 is probably to early but it was definitely happening by 1899.

It is very, very rare to see on a military stein because they were made to be sold within German borders. However you might find an odd ball where they have used an export "pottery/ clay" stein for a military order. I do not think that I have ever seen it on an original "porcelain" military stein.

Military stein collecting is a fascinating science, there are endless variation and amazing units. Some steins are selling for reasonable prices these days. Rare ones, certain units or those with special features still sell for very high prices.

The fakes/ reproductions are easy to work out once you get a feel for what is original.

Just post images here before you buy and ask if you are not sure,

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris for those additional comments,

I just found the "Stein collectors international" website which seems to contain some comprehensive information.They explain reasonably well the relevance of "Made in Germany" .

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X