Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avensis2000 View Post
    Stunning bar

My only question is (sorry, I am not so expert in these things....) what did he do? Russian/Austrian/German/Italian awards.... Something from both sides in several countries. Wow!

I have to admit I am quite a novice (read:total dumbass)when it comes to these combinations of different awards so hopefully someone could try make up a simole rough guideline how awards have been awarded in these kind of ways.

Sorry if this is stupid question
    This medalbar nicely show how alliances rapidly changed at end of 19th and beginning of 20th century. It is great evidence that ww1 enemies were allies only a short time before. And prewar enemies became friends very soon. When we have it portioned in history books piece by piece, it somehow looks logical, but when we see these awards on one medalbar, it greatly show absurdity of history. Russian chivalry award next to Japanese medal for Russo-Japanese war - just stunning. Both will became German enemies in ww1. And Austrian Order of Iron Crown next to Italian Order of Crown - extraordinary. They were the best German allies up to 1915 and then they spent 3 years exchanging grenades over the Isonzo river. There are even stronger historical paralels and roots, that can be decoded from this bar - For example, that "Russian" order, Order of St. Anna, was in fact established by Karl Friedrich, Duke of Holstein-Gottorp, on 14 February 1735, in honour of his wife Anna Petrovna, daughter of Peter the Great of Russia.

...I know you asked something else, but I think there is no wonder this officer received allied medals, when he was general. For example, that campaign medal for Russo-Japanese war 1905... Japanese authorities were so happy to win this war, that this medal was given to anybody who was in range - to any military personel in service in the time of medal issue, to any foreign military observer - and even to any foreign journalist acredited in Japan during this war.

Miro
    Last edited by Miro O; 01-05-2014, 05:19 AM.

Comment

fore me there are two ,,,who are photographically the most beautiful items in my collection .....

but only photographically ,,

cheap and everyone can own one ..

hope you like it
      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice photography, Monty.

For me it's my 1870 Type A EKII. I really admire iron crosses.

Robert
        Attached Files

Comment

>...I know you asked something else,

Thanks Miro, this was perfect reply for me, and it makes sense for me too now of course. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Hi,
            Not my usual section but here's my contribution.
            Attached Files

Comment

Not necessarily my favorite piece but very eye inspiring. The GFM boards of Wilhelm II for wear on his Garde Schutzen uniform. Alan
              Attached Files

Comment

Certainly the piece I love most of my collection:

With my best wishes for the new year !!!
                Alex

Comment

Some incredible items that without the Internet would be hidden. I think we're just getting started

Comment

Awesome boards...
                    Originally posted by Alan Wilson View Post
                    Not necessarily my favorite piece but very eye inspiring. The GFM boards of Wilhelm II for wear on his Garde Schutzen uniform. Alan

Comment

Fantastic Items Everyone! Congratulations on Adding these Incredible Items to You Collections!

Here's my favorite Imperial German item:

All the Best,

Alan

Comment

Beautiful pick, Alan.

Comment

Imperial is still a mystery to me, but I really like this one....

Attached Files
                          RonR

Comment

Das Ritterkreuz erster Klasse mit Schwertern des Ordens vom Zaehringer Loewen
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here's my favorite Imperial pick. While not as colorful or as ornate as some of the stunning pieces featured on this thread, this EK1 in an early brown leather case is a fine example of Godet's craftsmanship.

Best, Alex

Comment

Gorgeous picks. Cloth pilot amazing. Zahringer has always been a favorite. And Godet EK1 just perfect workmanship. Seeing the plume device is always great and that it survived so intact! More obsidian!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X