Experts on the Siege of Tsingtau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experts on the Siege of Tsingtau

I've been extensively researching the Siege of Tsingtau and found an old newspaper article, dated November 2, 1914 describing the defenses of the Germans in Tsingtau. Among other things it states the following:

At Bismarck Hill - The 3rd Battalion of Marine Infantry (four companies)

At Mortoke (Moltke?) Hill - One squadron of cavalry, one company of infantry, and one company of machine gun corps

At Iltis Hill - The 5th Battalion of Marine Infantry (four companies).

These comprise 2,401 men. Besides them, there are over 450 or three companies of a marine detachment stationed in North China.
    I'm trying to match up these descriptions with the actual German regiments that were there.

I'm assuming the reference to "The 3rd Battalion of Marine Infantry" is actually the III. Seebataillon.

For the marine detachment stationed in North China, I assume the article is referring to the three companies of the East Asian Marine Detachment that were stationed at Tientsin and Peking.

What is puzzling to me is where the article refers to "The 5th Battalion of Marine Infantry (four companies)". I have no idea what regiment this is.

I'm also puzzled by the the articles reference to "One squadron of cavalry, one company of infantry, and one company of machine gun corps" I assume they are references to the detachments of the III. Seebataillon

Can anyone help me figure out what actual German regiments the article referring to?

Hello Joe

There is an collector called Claudius, who is collecting medals and documents connected with the Siege of Tsingtao. He is active mainly on G.M.I.C. forum, but I think he is also WAF member. Try to ask him for help, he is very polite and respectable man.

Best, Miro

Comment

Joec03,

...in haste, some information taken from
      ASSMANN , Kurt (1935): Die Kämpfe der Kaiserlichen Marine in den deutschen Kolonien. Erster Teil. Tsingtau. Zweiter Teil: Deutsch-Ostafrika, in: MARINE-ARCHIV (Hg.): Der Krieg zur See 1914-1918. Berlin: E.S. Mittler & Sohn.

BR, Chris
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gensui View Post
        Joec03,

...in haste, some information taken from
        ASSMANN , Kurt (1935): Die Kämpfe der Kaiserlichen Marine in den deutschen Kolonien. Erster Teil. Tsingtau. Zweiter Teil: Deutsch-Ostafrika, in: MARINE-ARCHIV (Hg.): Der Krieg zur See 1914-1918. Berlin: E.S. Mittler & Sohn.

BR, Chris
        Do you also have such lists for the other colonies? Could you maybe post them, too?
        Besides the other colonies, I´m also very interested in anything about Deutsch-Neuguinea.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambert View Post
          Do you also have such lists for the other colonies? Could you maybe post them, too?
          Besides the other colonies, I´m also very interested in anything about Deutsch-Neuguinea.
          I may have some information about other colonies, but need to check after back home. It will take some time, so please be patient with me
          BR, Chris

Comment

Do you have one for Sud West Afrika?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X