Pilot and Observer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot and Observer

I am requesting opinions on these pilot and observer badges as it is not my area of expertise. I will say that I do like the level of detail on the pilot. What is unusual is that both badges seem to have had the makers mark removed. I though the pilot badge was an unmarked Juncker until I took these pictures today and now can see it was marked at one time. Why would that be done I have no idea. The Imperial Prussian observers badge was acquired with a COA from a regarded German dealer. I just noticed in a previous thread that Carsten has a book out in English. I think I shall order it soon.
    Attached Files

Here are some detailed images of the removed maker's mark.
    Attached Files

Comment

up and up

I like them both. Can you show the catch on the pilot?
      cheers
      Matt

Comment

Thank you for taking a look. Here are close ups of the catch of the pilot badge. Kinda has that look you see on thier WWII pieces.
        Attached Files

Comment

I believe both are good badges. Rear markings and pins are consistent with originals in the Pandis volume.

The orange cast to the red enamel is a good sign too.

Mike

Comment

I agree but at the pilot badge it seems the pin was replaced. The position where the pin originaly was is under the new pin. You can see the rest of it.

Regards

Alex

Comment

Thank you for your valuable input. Glad it came out positive. Is the practice of removing maker's marks something that was done by the owner on occaision or is that most likely done later for unknown reasons. Seems to have been done with care.

Comment

Originally posted by jaba-the-hunt View Post
                I agree but at the pilot badge it seems the pin was replaced. The position where the pin originaly was is under the new pin. You can see the rest of it.

Regards

Alex
                you mean the catch? the pin looks original but the catch looks like a replacement.
                cheers
                Matt

Comment

Originally posted by rfleming32 View Post
                  Thank you for your valuable input. Glad it came out positive. Is the practice of removing maker's marks something that was done by the owner on occaision or is that most likely done later for unknown reasons. Seems to have been done with care.
                  I came across something like that being done once before. The fellow removed the makers mark as he was under the impression that it was the owners name and he did not wish to have the family associated with the item.
                  But he used slight more mechanical means to remove it. At least yours looks like it could be a lot of wear/tear. Congrats on two fine badges!!
                  cheers
                  Matt

Comment

These badges both look genuine to me. I like the wear and patina on both badges. I would be comfortable with both of them in my collection.

Dan

Comment

Yes i ment catch, Sorry.

Regards

Alex

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X