Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veterans Cross

Hi Guys,

I put this in the Weimar period section, but someone e-mailed and said I should put it here too, since it deals with WWI Veteran's, in the other section it was called a Veteran's merit medal.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Attached Files

Hi Kevin,

It has a name -- can't recall what it is -- but it comes in a "2. Class" as well:

Thanks for sharing it.
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

prussian

I think you are right. It appears to be the Prussian War veterans Cross.
      Nice condition.

Comment

Very nice Veteran's Cross. I don't think I have seen the first class before.

Pierce

Comment

Hi Guys,

Think it needs a little TLC and will be a nice looking piece.

Regards,
          Kevin

Comment

First time that I've seen the "First Class" as well. Thanks for the pics!

Congrats on a very nice find!

Alan

Comment

Hi Guys,

I really have not looked around that much online, I have never had one, nor do I know what it's worth, ha I'm usually a WWII German collector.

Regards,
              Kevin

Comment

Hi Guys,

Just figured I'd post a picture or two of it cleaned up a bit, still have not found any thing on it yet.

Regards,
                Kevin
                Attached Files

Comment

It's in Niemann"s Bewerttungs Katalog #2 page 130. It cleaned up nicely.
                  pseudo-expert

Comment

One recently sold through Bene Merenti auctions but I can't find the catalogue. I think it was Auktion 2 if anyone has it. Can't recall the hammer price but these get a lot (for veteran's medals) -- maybe €200 +/-.
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Comment

I've got nothing substancial to add, but my gut-feeling has concerns.

cheers
                      Peter

Comment

Hi Guys,

Peter you say your gut feelings has concerns, are you saying you think this is not original? I found this link to this award, it was in german tried to translate http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...1914-1918.html

Regards,
                        Kevin
                        Last edited by KJV; 11-20-2012, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Hi Kevin,

No, that's not what I'm suggesting, I'm merely referring to that un-explainable feeling we once in a while run into. If you compare your own piece to the one in the link and also add Detlev's cross, you'll notice differences on all three i.g size of crown, pin and bottom portion of the wreath. This can of course be explained by different producers, but my main concern is the awkward pin, often encountered on the new generation of fakes coming from the east. Just my two bits

cheers
                          Peter

Comment

Hi Peter,

yes, I know what your saying, I to just put the differances to differance makers. The pin may have some close looks to the eastern fakes, but they had to copy some thing, the quality of this piece is beautiful, I'm surprised the value is only around 200 euro. If it were a fake, I'd buy them all day long, hahaha

Regards,
                            Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by KJV View Post
                              I'm surprised the value is only around 200 euro.
                              Hi Kevin,

Actually €200 is a lot for a veteran's medal!

Found it for you. BM Auktion 02 Lot 406 Opening bid €75 Hammer price €120 + commission = €147 or about $200.

Congratulations on your nice find. I see Peter's concerns but honestly I just don't think these are worth faking to anyone. The pin may have been replaced though.
                              Attached Files
                              Best regards,
                              Streptile

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X