Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colonial/China question

All,

I was looking over some old threads and have a question. Aside from the 6 Pour le Merite awards for China and 4 for colonial service, were there any awards of the other high military orders for the same time period ( ie. Bavarian BMJ3, Saxon SH2b or SH3, WM3, or MFKO)? I saw an example of the SH3 for China, but that's it. Would love to know.

John

Last edited by Rick Research; 10-24-2004, 06:04 PM.

Comment

All countries awarded their normal house and merit orders to the guys serving there. But as Rick told just Prussia, Saxony and Württemberg awarded also their highest bravery award.

No Baden MKFO and no Bayern MMJO were awarded in the colonial times.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Rick and Daniel,

Gentlemen, thank you for your responses. I had a feeling there were no BMJ3 awards but hoped for maybe a MKFO award or two.

Rick,

Thanks for the Wurt. recipients. Were these the only ones?

Does anyone know the number of St. Henry awards during this period? Thanks to all.

John

Comment

Last edited by Rick Research; 10-24-2004, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Rick Research; 10-24-2004, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Rick,

Thanks for the reply. Only two. Pretty exclusive company. I had known about Kirsten from an earlier thread, but Meister is new. Just looked him up in my book on the PlM and see that he received that too for the same time period. Interesting. And a commanders cross for WWI. thanks again.

John

Comment

Here are all WM3 awarded in Colonial times I found. Some are already metioned by Rick but I have some additional Data:

Crailsheim-Rügland, Kurt Frhr.v., born 1878, 1914 Hptm in Kamerun, Maj aD UlRgt 19, had WM3 and WF3bX from SWA, from Prussia the RAO4X and the KO4X, SWA medal with bars Karasberge and Oranje

Gaisberg-Helffenberg, Alfred Frhr.v., born 1872, 1914 Rittm and Adjutnat Herzog Albrecht v.Wtbg., OTL aD, was a WELLLL decorated one; WM3, WF3aX, WDA1, RAO4X, RAO4mKr, KO4X, Pruss.DA, China medal, SWA medal, Centenary medal, BZ3bmE, BMV4, OV3b, SA3a, LEK4, ÖEK3

Heigelin, Theodor v., 1914 Hptm Kamerun, Maj aD, had WM3 probably from Kamerun, KO4X, Pruss.DA, Centenary medal

Klewitz, v., 1914 K.W.Rittm DragR Kön.Olga, Rittm aD, had a WM3 from SWA, KO4X, SWA medal

Knoerzer, v., 1905 K.W.Maj in IR 13 had a WM3, WF3a, WDA1, RAO4X, China medal with Fouphing bar, JK4, ÖFJ4

Legl, Franz v., born 1870, 1908 Wtbg.OLt IR 127 had WM3, WF3a, KO4X, China Medal with Huolu bar, Centenary medal, Austria War medal

Neubronner, Rudolf Theod.v., 1914 K.W.Rittm DR König, Maj aD, had WM3, KO4X, SWA medal, SA3b

Oertzen, v., 1910 OLt Kamerun, 1914 Hptm FlgBtl 1, Maj aD, had a WM3, RAO4X, KO4X, Pruss.RM, MMV2, FNA4

Raben Ernst v., born 1877, died 1924, 1914 Hptm Kamerun, Maj aD, WM3 from Kamerun, WDA2, RAO4X, KO4X, Colonial Medal with Kamerun 1901/02/03 bars, MG3

Schäfer, Theodor v., born 1876, 1914 K.W.Hptm 5.Wtbg.IR 123, OTLaD GenGouv Warschau, WM3, WK3X, WF3b, KO4X, China and SWA medals

Seutter v. Lötzen, Georg Frhr., born 1877, 1914 K.W. Hptm 1.Wtbg.IR 119, Maj aD, WM3 from SWA, KO4X and SWA medal

Watter, Frhr.v., 1914 K.W. Hptm 2.Wtbg.FAR 29, 1925 Maj Stab ArtFhr V, WM3 from SWA, WF3aX, WDA1, KO4X, EK1, BMV4X

Best regards

Daniel<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

Comment

Daniel,

Wow! Thanks for the additional info. Did Wurttemburg have more of a contingent in the colonies than, with the exception of Prussia, the others? Thanks again.

John

Comment

I can imagine that Württemberg had no more soldiers in the colonies than Saxony.
                    The fact that a lot more WM3 than SH3 were awarded has a simple reason.
                    Saxony awarded first the fitting class of the Albert and then next the fitting Order of merit with swords before they gave the SH3.
                    Württemberg awarded the fitting Frederick Order and next came already the WM3. The 3rd Württemberg Order, the Order of the Crown was a rare, rare, rare given award and was not the 2nd step after the Frederick.
                    The Bavarian MMJO and the Baden MKFO were much higher in their required act of bravery and thats why not given in the colonial wars.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Daniel,

Sorry for the delay in my reply. Thanks for the explanation of my Wurttemburg question. I am beginning to get an idea of how much prestige the "military orders" of the various states were held in. BTW, Hptmn Franke must have really impressed someone in Wurttemburg for him to be awarded the WK3X. Thanks again.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X