Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EKII 1870 mit 25 Jubileum Eichenlaub

Hi friends,
    as promise I share with you the pics of my 2 grandmother crosses present on my very small collection.

One show a "non combatant band" and the sister is with "combatant band"

That are made by typical core "type A" used by Sy & Wagner, and was casting by Imperial Foundry of Berlin, if I remember good.

Same core, but for EKI, is possible to find on S&W crosses and on Souval crosses (after the dismission of Foundry of Berlin) be cause him bought all the semifinished core.

But now the pics......

Any opinion is always welcome

Regards

Gew44/Max

hi those pieces are from wagner, berlin (if we know it correctly today)

they are good ones. nice condition.

Comment

Hi Max,
      You have two nice crosses there. The sharp details of the one
      on the black/white ribbon are just great. IMO that is what makes
      the 1870s the best of all the Iron Cross series.
      I am not real comfortable with the non-combat ribbon but that's just
      me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gew44 View Post
        ... Same core, but for EKI, is possible to find on S&W crosses and on Souval crosses (after the dismission of Foundry of Berlin) be cause him bought all the semifinished core......Gew44/Max
        Hello Max

Nice crosses.

Are you able to clarify what you mean in your statement above which seems to state "that genuine 'A Type' cores are found in EK1's by Rudolph Souval because he bought the leftover Berlin Foundry stock"...

Comment

Originally posted by Biro View Post
          Hello Max

Nice crosses.

Are you able to clarify what you mean in your statement above which seems to state "that genuine 'A Type' cores are found in EK1's by Rudolph Souval because he bought the leftover Berlin Foundry stock"...
          Sorry .......
          I'm "brain melted" wanted to say Godet not Souval.

I've seen ever only two types of 1870 cores: 1 used from Wagner and 1 used from Godet, both factory on Berlin.

The core used from Wagner called "Type A":

The core used from Godet called "Type B":

"Kaiser Wilhelm I issued the order for closing the Foundry on 31 March 1873, and the last cast was made on 5 January 1874. The inventory of the foundry was sold at auction to other state enterprises and institutions. Not only does this development represent the end of a historically and culturally valuable era of art and Iron work in Berlin, it also raises the interesting question of who, after the Foundry's closing, was able to manufacture cores to meet the demand for replacement Iron Crosses. Inseparable from this question is the existence of core Type B.
          As we have seen, Type B cores were used by Godet of Berlin. Moreover, as of this writing, they have been seen exclusively in Godet crosses. There exist no other crosses clearly attributable to a different manufacturer with this core type. This stands in contrast to Type A cores, which are clearly to be found in crosses assembled by jewelers other than Wagner of Berlin. Let us remind ourselves of Schneider's observations: "Director Schmidt announced to the jewelers authorized to make the silver frames that the Iron Cross cores could be picked up." If you infer from this statement that several jewelers arrived to pick up the finished cores from the Berlin Foundry, it becomes clear why Type A cores are to be found enclosed within frames manufactured by multiple companies, and why there are EK1s marked by various jewelers, including Godet, with Type A cores."

This info coming from study published also on WAF, but I'm not able to post this intersting doc.

If you send me your e-mail from PM I will be happy to send you all.

I apologize for mistakes.

A massive thanks to all

Regards

Gew44/Max

Comment

Thank you for the clarification max - I thought you must have meant Godet

I know the article from Mike you are referring to thanks.

There are actually three core types used in 1870 EK1's - I started a study on this very topic here which may be of interest: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...+Wagner+shared

Perhaps you have something to add to it?

Marshall

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X