LIR 120 Dog Tag Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LIR 120 Dog Tag Help

Here is another one I need a little help understanding. It belonged to a member of LIR 120. Where this tag was found is no where near where the 120th was operating, but it was found with another LIR of the 2. Landwehr Division, so I assume a transfer within the division at some point. The guy was 47 years old at the time of the battle, but I guess that is normal for a Landwehr guy.

The tag reads:

Otto Seefeld
    Backnang
    F.R. L.I.R. 120 1. F. K. No. 6804

I do not understand the F.R. and the 1. F. K. - 1. could be company, but what is the rest?

Here is the photo

Thanks

Attached Files

Brad,

Are you sure that first letter is an "F" and not an "E"?

The rest is Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 120, 1st Feld-Komp. I went through Peter Meinlschmidt's book, "German WWI Identity Tags/Disks" and did not see anything with an E.R. or an F.R. other than Ersatz Regiment and Füsilier Regiment, neither of which make any sense with the L.I.R.

It's possible that an "F.R." could stand for "Feld-Rekrut", but that does not sound right for a fellow of this age.

Chip

Comment

i agree chip.

backnang is a small town ~ 30km northern from stuttgart.

Comment

Brad,

Just a side note....L.I.R. 120 was one of the units (the main one) that was so roughly handled in the Argonne by Sgt. York. The company commander (Ltn.Volmer) that he captured was instrumental in getting over 100 others to surrender. Amazing how influencing a pistol in the ribs can be!

Chip

Comment

Chip,

I am pretty familiar with LIR 120 and Sgt York. Check out this thread. I start on the second or third page.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=408401

Brad

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X