Ritter des Eisernen Kreuzes - WW1 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ritter des Eisernen Kreuzes - WW1 question

I just picked up a death card of a Veterinarian in a Reserve Bavarian Division of soldier Anton Paintner. Indicates he died on November 15, 1918 from wounds he received on November 10, 1918. Unlucky.

Where it lists his awards it says the following:

Ritter des Eisernen Kreuzes und des B. Militarverdienstordens mit Schwertern.

Now that would literally translate to Knight of the Iron Cross and Bavarian Military Merit Order with Swords.

My question is, would this mean he was awarded the Knights Cross? Or is this simply fanciful language indicating he received the Iron Cross 1st or 2nd Class?

Is there any way of finding out more about this officer or his awards? He seems to be listed in the Bavarian WW1 Personnel Rosters on Ancestry.com but I don't have access to it.

Hi !

This is just one of several errors which can often be found on death cards. I think he only was awarded the Iron Cross IInd class in this case. There is no "Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross" in WWI.

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

I agree this was a mistake - as far as I know, Iron cross was not considered to be an order, but just award or decoration.

One more thing - you say he was a soldier and veterinarian; how was he awarded Bavarian military merit order, if he was not an officer? If he was a solider, he should get a cross, or that was also a "fanciful upgrade"? Other way, a veterinarian (doctor) should be an officer grade, or not?

Comment

He's an officer and wearing an officers uniform in the photo. I guess I used the word soldier a little too loose. I didn't mean enlisted man.

Comment

Originally posted by RelicHunter View Post
          He's an officer and wearing an officers uniform in the photo. I guess I used the word soldier a little too loose. I didn't mean enlisted man.
          That makes perfect sense. Really unlucky guy. BTW, can we see the obituary?

Comment

The expression "ritter dess Eisernen kreuze"' was never a mistake.

usage off the title accepted right from the start off the iron cross 1813.

kay

Comment

The card is viewable in my collection here, it is the first on the left in the bottom row.

http://greatwarcollection.weebly.com...---medics.html

Comment

Thanks for showing! Great collection of death cards, BTW!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X