Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hohenzollen Device?

Hi Forum,

I just picked up a WW1 Ek1 with a thin ribbon and crossed swords device. I believe this signifies the House of Holenzollen. The Ek1 is marked We on the small ring as well. What do you think? Duane
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Definitely nothing to do with Hohenzollern. The crossed swords are the ribbon device for the "Fuer Oesterreich" medal given out to WWI veterans in the late twenties. Someone just thought it would look "cool" on the EK ribbon. No way of telling whether the original owner did this, or someone the day before yesterday.

Regards
      Thorsten

Comment

Actually, those crossed swords are the typical Austrian ones as mounted to the ribbons of orders and decorations (except the Tapferkeitsmedaille), from 1916 to 1918.

Swords mean that the award was given for merits "vor dem Feinde", added to the "Kriegsdekoration".

The Prussian Iron Cross never had any crossed-swords device.

Best wishes,

E.L.

Comment

Originally posted by Elmar Lang View Post
          Actually, those crossed swords are the typical Austrian ones as mounted to the ribbons of orders and decorations (except the Tapferkeitsmedaille), from 1916 to 1918.

Best wishes,

E.L.

I concur, typical Austrian swords device.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help, If not the EK2 , what kind of awards? Like the Hindenburg Cross? If it dosent belong on there I wont keep it on the medal. What medals should it go on? Thanks again, Duane

Comment

Originally posted by D Funk View Post
              Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help, If not the EK2 , what kind of awards? Like the Hindenburg Cross? If it dosent belong on there I wont keep it on the medal. What medals should it go on? Thanks again, Duane
              Hi Duane

The swords would look more at home on a medal like this (Austrian Commemorative Medal).

Kind regards
              Pierce
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X