Kaiser's last soldier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaiser's last soldier?

From an article in today's Daily Mail here in the UK. One Charles (Karl) Kuentz who at 107 is reported to be the last surviving German veteran of the First World War. A citizen of Alsace-Lorraine he acquired Fench nationality following WW1 and again at the end of WW2. His son was killed as a member of the Waffen-SS in Normandy in 1944. He apparently served as an artillery NCO, presumably in one of the Garde-Feldartillerie-Regiments.

Regards
    Glenn
    Attached Files

He supposedly served inthe 99 AR, which I doubt as the 99 was part of the 50ID, a rather elite bunch.
    The germans did not trust the Alsatians and sent them to Russia as they were rather prone to surrender on the western front. For thazt reason Kuentz and his regt were posted to Russia, which once again does not fit with the statement that he was in the 99 AR.

All the best
    Chris

P.S. his son was in Das Reich

Comment

Garde

Hi Chris,

the article mentions the 5th and 6th Field Artillery Regiments so I am surmising 5.Garde-Feldartillerie-Regiment bearing in mind the Garde Litzen and the Guard Star on his Kugelhelm.

Regards
      Glenn

Comment

The last surviving German WW1 soldier in BRITAIN or in GERMANY?

I should think there still would be some "younger" than him, all those draft Class of 1920 kids born in 1900 etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn2438
          Hi Chris,

the article mentions the 5th and 6th Field Artillery Regiments so I am surmising 5.Garde-Feldartillerie-Regiment bearing in mind the Garde Litzen and the Guard Star on his Kugelhelm.

Regards
          Glenn
          Hi Glenn,
          There is a really good "Spiegel Special" magazine about WW1 on the news stands at the moment with an interview with him, there it mentioned 99 AR, but as I mentioned, not possible.
          I assume he was in a number of units, apparently the first one was a less than illustrious Alsatian Arty Regt that was sent to Russia because of the amount of guys who deserted to the allies.

All the best
          Chris

Comment

Thanks for passing this on Glenn, the Garde Litzen and the Kugelhelm Guard Star suggest he was somebody special. How sad, the last...

Comment

Hello,

I doubt he is the last, there must be a few more alive, perhaps also in Poland or the USA.

Jan

Comment

The Last?

Hi Jan,

I tend to agree with you. I would have thought that there were at least a few more veterans still alive.

Rick,

this guy now lives in FRANCE.

Chris,

I'm in Germany next week, I will try and pick up a copy of the "Spiegel Special".

Regards
                Glenn

Comment

Glenn,
                  Is there a link online to this story? Thanks for putting it up. I agree with the comments about other survivors. Heck they would be a young....102 or so. Geez.

Comment

Mr Kuentz

Hi Joe,

here are a couple of scans from the article. He sure looks well for 107!!

http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co....ic/kuentz1.jpg

http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co....ic/kuentz2.jpg

Regards
                    Glenn

Comment

I have not read the magazine article with FAR99 in it. However if he was in FAR5 & 6 I was stumped too. I am no FBI expert but his ears do not match in the old and new picture. The Imperial picture was not taken in 1916 based on the uniform color / type I don't think. So my theory ... that is not him in the picture with the Gd. Haube it is someone else.

Comment

There is an ARD film on Verdun tonight (in about an hour from when I post this). It includes an interview with Funker (Radioman) Arno Wagner, who at 110 is supposedly Germany's oldest living veteran.

http://www.daserste.de/derersteweltkrieg/folge_3.asp

Paging through the ARD site, I also see an Alfred Schilla interviewed about Tannenberg.

Comment

Hi Joe I spotted the ears to,doest look like the same bloke.Best Joey.
                          Originally posted by joerookery
                          I have not read the magazine article with FAR99 in it. However if he was in FAR5 & 6 I was stumped too. I am no FBI expert but his ears do not match in the old and new picture. The Imperial picture was not taken in 1916 based on the uniform color / type I don't think. So my theory ... that is not him in the picture with the Gd. Haube it is someone else.

Comment

According to today's CBC broadcast, there are 8 surviving Canadian veterans of the First World War, all over 100 years of age...I suspect that there must be more than this one surviving German veteran also.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                            X