Anybody recognize these Officers?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody recognize these Officers?????

How's this for a "rack", lucky he can stand up straight!

Or, how about this guy???

Another top-heavy guy, check out the awesome, wind-swept hair style!!!

Comment

By the way..........

Our wind-swept dude is wearing BOTH an 1870 EK1 und 2!!

Comment

WOW!!

If I didn't know better I would think that second guy is ME. Something wrong with the hair??

I must say that an Attila decked out with awards looks very nice.

Just kidding about the man looking like me. I am younger and better looking of coarse. I don't have much hair to speak of though.

Comment

Top appears to be General der Infanterie "v.(on) Wittich," in 1902 CO of the XIth Army Corps.

He was promoted to "Generaloberst m.d. Range als General Feldmarschall" 11 September 1903 and was the second "Generaladjutant" of the kaiser in 1905. His 1st and Grand Cross Orders are too numerous to list--or for him to have ever worn. He apparently died about then, so I have no other biographical info (Glenn?...)

The Hussar General is more problematic, if no date is on there--appears to be pre-1895. "Before my time"

Comment

Hi Rick & Rick,

I can't confirm whether it is Adolf von Wittich as I don't have a photograph of him. If it is von Wittich he was born on the 28th of August 1836 and died 23rd of February 1906. He was appointed commanding general of the XI Army Corps at Kassel on the 11th of August 1892 until being replaced by General der Infanterie Wilhelm von Linde-Suden on the 24th of April 1904.

Chief of staff of IV Corps from 3 Feb 1877 to 5 Jan 1878
            GOC 12th Infantry Brigade from 26 Mar 1885 to 23 June 1888

à la suite Füsilier-Regiment Nr. 39 from 5 Apr 1904.

Glenn

Comment

Here's a pretty fair rack on a certain Royal. Notice, no EK Who can ID him?
              Attached Files

Comment

It is Friedrich Großherzog von Baden

Best greetings

Daniel

Comment

Hi,

can someone post a pic of Ernst Ludwig, Großherzog von Hessen-Darmstadt und bei Rhein please? I just want a pic of our former boss

Greetings from Hessen (Frankfurt a. M.)!!!

PS: Daniel, not bad. You used the badische "Silberne Verdienstmedaille" to ID him, right?

Comment

HEHEHE Majorpayne, I recognized his fingerprints

Here is Ernst Ludwig:

Best regards

Daniel
                    Attached Files

Comment

Daniel,

Right first try. I bet the autograph gave it away But why no EK?

Comment

Hi Tom,

I think it is before WW1. Thats why no EK.

Best greetings

Daniel

P.S.

Here is his "old man" with the EK 1870
                        Attached Files

Comment

Tom, and here is Friedrich II. as a young one:

Best greetings

Daniel
                          Attached Files

Comment

Back to Stogie-Rick's guy who looked like the actor who played Doctor Watson in the Jeremy Brett "Masterpiece Theatre" TV series-- I visited Casa Stogie today and borrowed this to scan for y'all--

The officer is a full Oberst of Hussars, NO cypher on boards, by which I assume he was Prussian Life Guard Hussars Regiment (though the photographer was in Trier!).

He is wearing Commander grades: Prussian Johanniter. Saxe-Ernestine House, Swedish Sword, Turkish Osmanie, Turkish Medjidie.

Pin back: EK1 1870, Mecklenburg-Schwerin Griffin Order. Sewn on: Johanniter.

Medal bar: EK2 1870, Red Eagle 3rd with Bow, Crown 3rd, Prussian XXV, 1870-71, 1866, Russian St Vladimir, Bavarian Military Merit-original type Knight with ******SWORDS AUTHORIZED IN 1891 for previous combat awards******, Bavarian Military Merit Order 3rd Class ("Knight 1st") peacetime, Mecklenburg-Schwerin Military Merit Cross 1870, Saxe Ernestine House (Knight 1st or 2nd with Swords), Italian Crown-Knight, Belgian Leopold-Officer, and last what appears to be the 1887 British Jubilee Medal for Queen Victoria!

I've looked through all the REGIMENTAL cavalry officers in 1890 and do not find him. From the 1870 Bavarian Order's swords (1891+) and the lack of "25" EK oakleaves and 1870 campaign bars (1895+), this must date 1891-95.

Here he is in better focus and closer view:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Tadaaaaaaaa! FOUND him--

von Hagenow:

Major iG 14.4.85 Dd
                              Oberstlieutenant ca 1891
                              Oberst ca 1894-- so this photo dates 1894-5
                              Generalmajor 22.3.97 V
                              Generalleutnant 22.5.00 J
                              charakterisiert General der Kavallerie 15.9.04

In 1890 he was General Staff Officer of the Military Government of Fortress Cologne,
                              In 1899 he was Commander of the 15th Cavalry Brigade in 15th Division, Cologne
                              In 1902 he was Military Governor of Cologne
                              In 1905 he was Military Governor of Fortress Metz.
                              He apparently retired (or died) 1905/06 since he had vanished by the 1907 Rangliste, was not in the 1908 Ordens Almanach, and shows no WW1 service in the Ehrenrangliste.

My sources before 1900 are slim, so I have no first name or birthdate. Born about 1845, Sekondelieutenant ca 1866--so he got all those "swords" as a mere 2nd Lt of cavalry--Premierlieutenant ca 1873, Rittmeister/Hauptmann iG ca 1878.

In 1890 he held the Iron Crosses, Red Eagle 4th, Crown 3rd, Johanniter-Knight, XXV, the Bavarian, Mecklenburg, Saxe Ernestine (Knight 2nd-X), Belgian, Italian, Russian, and Turkish awards as shown. By 1899 his Prussian Order of the Crown had been upgraded to 2nd Class, and he had added a Russian St Anne 2nd Class. By 1902 his Red Eagle had been upgraded to 2nd Class with Oakleaves and Star, and in 1905 his Red Eagle, crown, and Bavarian peacetime Military Merit Orders had all been upgraded to 1st Class sash and star classes.

Not bad from an anonymous, undated photo!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X