Pre-1900 Officer's Ribbon bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-1900 Officer's Ribbon bar

A new addition is this 4 place ribbon bar, with the Red Eagle Order ribbon (propably for the AEZ medal), a long service medal, 1870/1871 KDM, and the 1897 Centennial.

Reverse

Comment

Yiasou John,

A very attractive bar indeed...looks strangely familiar...

Congrats on your new acquisition!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Oops...

correction on the period. It's after 1900, pre-1915.

Comment

Nice one!

Red Eagle 4th class
          XXV long service
          70/71 campaign
          Centenary

I think a old Captain / Major in 1897, no NCO with the AEZ, this guys would have the long service brooches not worn on the ribbon bar.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Beautiful! I hate myself, but started to find beauty not only in helmets, but also in medals and ribbons, very bad sign!!! Very nice bar!
            The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

John-

That's a great bar. I bid on it on ebay as well - you got a nice deal on it

Are there holes on the KDM ribbon where there could have been a battle spange at one time? There seems to be one hole on the right side.

Again, a great bar!

Brian

Comment

Thank you all for your comments.

Daniel, you are right. Probably a Major. At first I thought it was some kind of Paymaster or similar rank.

Brian, it looks more like a scratch on the ribbon, rather than a hole for a clasp. The ribbon is too tight wrapped around the bar in order to fit pins of the clasp.

Comment

I agree-- a Major on active duty, circa 1897.

Comment

Looks like this Major won himself an EK in WWI. Here is the other part of this group, sold by the same person.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Reverse
                      Attached Files

Comment

So, we have a Major around 1900. Active duty during WWI, awarded the EK2, and what rank? An Oberst in 1915-1916?

Comment

I tend to think we have a Captain who retired as characterized Major. For a LtCol I would already expect a Crown Order 3rd class.

Recalled for WW1 he did at least something close to the front or front-related to receive a EK. I think he re-retired as LtCol or if he got this promotion in WW1 he would get the character as Colonel in the big 1919/20 "sending home"

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
                          X