Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THANKS

Comment

Simply stunning Tony, these pieces are as close as you are going to get to the “holy grails” of Iron Cross collecting. <O</O

Comment

Thanks Dez,

That's how I view them myself. The originals will never be available and these are pretty damn nice! Even a purist has to have some flexability.

Conversely I wouldn't put a copy of an 1813 EKI in my collection while there is a finite chance that I can find an original example before I run out of time. I wouldn't want an 1813 EKI copy to interfere with my quest for an original one.

Tony
        An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Hi Tiger,

Thanks for showing us these (through Tom) fantastic pieces
          very much appreciated. These high quality items are a most certianly "collectable" in the view that contempory origionals will never come to light.
          Thanks again

Ashley

Comment

A really fascinating thread. Does anybody know whether the actual Blücher and Hindenburg stars survived and if they might be seen or are on display anywehere? After all, the Duke of Wellington's decorations can be seen in London (but what about Kutusov?)

Regards,

Karl

Comment

--The original Blucherstern was destroyed by fire in the mid 19th century and it's replacement was destroyed or stolen during WW2.

--I believe the Hindenburgstern is still in the possession of his family.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1
                Eric,

What can you tell us about the Star that you posted? It has some interesting construction features.

Tony
                Thanks for picking up on the features. Best case scenario is that it is a copy from the 20's for theatrical or display purposes.

Here's another picture of the back shown along with a Freikorps Breast star from that period. Note the similarities in construction technique.
                Last edited by Eric Stahlhut; 06-04-2008, 08:49 PM.

Comment

ttt for Les,

Tony

Comment

Here is the 1814 Grand Cross that Dr. Heinz von Hungen obtained from the family of Prince Leopold of Bavaria, in 1945. Dr. von Hungen had all of Leopolds uniforms, headgear, etc.

Bob Hritz
                    Attached Files
                    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Verso. Note there are only 2 acorns, not 4 as expected. This cross is very thin and light, weighing only 37.15 grams. Of course, it is made with silver frames and cast iron center that was blackened and laquered. The laquer is almost gone now. Note how bulbous both crowns are.

I could not remove the ribbon as it is very fragile and almost translucent from wear.

Bob Hritz
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wow Bob. Thanks for that post. Not often you see pics of a real Grand Cross. It is interesting that the quality of the Hersteller copies looks even better than the original. Steve

Comment

Last edited by gregM; 03-10-2007, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Bob,

I have seen your lovely '14 GC in hand many years ago at some of our local shows. I wish I had the where withall to have bought it from you when it was offered. Sometimes too smart too late as they say.

I believe you will find this to be a wearing copie that belonged to the Prince.

The reason I say this is that the original award piece still resides with the family in possesion of his grandson SKH Prinz Eugen von Bayern. Vern Bowen's book shows the original award GC with case on pages 142 thru 144. The pictures were courtesy of SKH Prinz Eugen von Bayern. Bowen's book came out much later than the 1945 date that the good Doctor acquired the Prince's wardrobe.

The GC shown in the pictures matches the original award type exactly, even down to the 4 acorns on the reverse.

Dr. von Hungen apparently acquired a wearing piece that belonged to the Prince. Ah, those crafty Bavarian Royals.

All the best,

Tony

Comment

Hi Tony,

I agree with you and believe this is the cross Leopold wore because of it's thinness and light weight, on the neck.

I remember Colonel (ret) von Hungen telling me how he got it and that over 30 years later the display case, in the family home, was still devoid of the order. Apparantly the cased Cross was stored elsewhere.

Anthony Prouse describes this pattern in his fine booklet printed in 1971.

Bob Hritz

Comment

Bob,

We're dating ourselves as 'old men' with references to A.E. Prowse's rare monograph.

Yep, That's true. With all the decorations that some of these guys had to wear any relief from excess weight was welcome. Prinzen size decorations also fit in this catagory.

Either way, a superb GC with solid provenance.

All the best,

Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X