Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks you Chip M for all of your help on this

Comment

So that's was the answer! It looks nice on that sb!

Comment

A Picture

Hi, this is a small contribution from my part, a major wearing a Johanniter cross on below his EKI, I hope it helps.
        Thank you
        Vellocino

Comment

Picture

A close up to the cloth Johanniter cross!

Comment

Thanks Vellocino,
            it seems to be material but not embroidered in center?

Comment

I'm late, very late to this thread!

But, just to clarify, the Johannine knights (both Rechtsritter and Ehrenritter) are allowed to wear cloth breast crosses (nowadays, generally of unembroidered linen) as well as metallic ones. However, the practice, which recalls the earlier days of the Order (until the early nineteenth century, almost all breast crosses of whatever chivalric order were embroidered fabric; and the breast crosses of the Order's fighting period, the Crusades and early modern era, were of simple unadorned linen) is increasingly rare; at a recent church service in Germany, for example, I saw cloth breast crosses (all but one, unembroidered) on only a handful of the more than fifty knights gathered; I saw only one metallic (white-enamelled gold) breast cross. Each breast cross, metallic or cloth, appeared to be about 50 mm. by 50 mm. in size.

I think that the Malteser wear only metallic breast crosses, and it's possible that only certain classes of their order are allowed to wear them.

Comment

here a picture of 1902 ...ceremonial uniform

Attached Files
                Last edited by Montgomery Burns; 07-16-2013, 03:46 AM.

Comment

1902 they sold

knights cross in gold and email
                  breath star smooth and rough silver ,in silver and silver plated

oversize , silver

prinzen size as well

for sawing to the uniform real silver breast stars

also breast crosses made from linen and silk .

little side note ,,Orden and Orden decorations not on the list are also manufactured and available .
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Montgomery Burns; 07-16-2013, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Interesting, Monty, thank you!

It must have been one of the gilt-and-enamel breast crosses that I saw a month ago, then, not a gold-and-enamel one. (I was at enough of a distance that the gilding succeeded in looking like solid gold.) I don't think that metallic breast crosses are still manufactured for the Johanniter, though some men might purchase ones through the much larger Order of Malta (the majority of the mediaeval Order of Saint John remained Roman Catholic at the Reformation, and that majority are the Malteser of today).

I note that the uniform of the Johannine knights never was abolished, though I have never seen it worn. Instead, the Johanniter (including the Dutch knights and dames, who separated from the German bailiwick shortly after the Second World War) wear capes and dark suits for such ceremonies as church services. Both the Malteser and the Venerable Order of Saint John (the recreation of the English part of the mediaeval Order of Saint John, now worldwide) are much more elaborate in ceremonial dress.

Comment

Originally posted by RWS View Post
                      Interesting, Monty, thank you!

It must have been one of the gilt-and-enamel breast crosses that I saw a month ago, then, not a gold-and-enamel one. (I was at enough of a distance that the gilding succeeded in looking like solid gold.) I don't think that metallic breast crosses are still manufactured for the Johanniter, though some men might purchase ones through the much larger Order of Malta (the majority of the mediaeval Order of Saint John remained Roman Catholic at the Reformation, and that majority are the Malteser of today).

I note that the uniform of the Johannine knights never was abolished, though I have never seen it worn. Instead, the Johanniter (including the Dutch knights and dames, who separated from the German bailiwick shortly after the Second World War) wear capes and dark suits for such ceremonies as church services. Both the Malteser and the Venerable Order of Saint John (the recreation of the English part of the mediaeval Order of Saint John, now worldwide) are much more elaborate in ceremonial dress.

glad you like it

regards monty

Comment

here's a Maltese cross

A so called Malteser donaht kreuz 1ste klasse
                        a rare peace ....gold / email

22 gram....... 54/31 mm
                        Attached Files

Comment

is the picture from an old catalogue?

I think I see (at left) part of a Teutonic Order's Cross...

The lions between the arms mean one of the priorates (Austria and Bohemia have double eagles). the cross shown was pictured with the suspension bow reversed: the pendalia appear as upwards... against Newton's law...

A very fine, old piece anyways.

All the best,

Enzo (E.L.)

Comment

Originally posted by Elmar Lang View Post
                            is the picture from an old catalogue?

I think I see (at left) part of a Teutonic Order's Cross...

The lions between the arms mean one of the priorates (Austria and Bohemia have double eagles). the cross shown was pictured with the suspension bow reversed: the pendalia appear as upwards... against Newton's law...

A very fine, old piece anyways.

All the best,

Enzo (E.L.)
                            yes ,an old auction catalogue 1929

32 pages with pictures of rare coins ,,but also 6 pages with world wide medals .

no iron crosses pictures ( only listed )but still a gem of a catalogue ....

sadly I am no coin collector ,,,,have to sell it some time but ,,, I do not know coin collectors

so far it comes in handy with such treads like this one

regards kay
                            Last edited by Montgomery Burns; 07-17-2013, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X