Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another EK2 to EK1 conversion

Hi Guys,

I had a thread with about four different examples shown and was hoping to add this one to it, but the images on the thread have disappeared. Anyways, here's another one....

Here's the reverse. Catch has snapped off.

Comment

Eric
      Were EK 2's modified like this because of a EK 1 shortage late in the war?
      Thanks Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

These field conversions were a result of the unavailability of a suitable EK1 for the recipient--usually because of the location of the soldier. Since you had to first earn an EK2 and only wore the ribbon in your buttonhole to show you had received it, you could attach a pin on your EK2 (which was usually in your pocket, bag, etc.) and wear it until you were either awarded an actual EK1 or could purchase an example from a retailer. These unofficial versions of the EK1 come in all sorts of permutations and are quite interesting in their own right-- at least to me!

Welcome to the Forum, BTW!

Comment

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the information.
          Regards Chris

Comment

That's the spiffiest conversion I've ever seen. Must have been done by a local jeweler.

Comment

Here's another one.

Unfortunately the cross has been cleaned by the previous owner. I suspect that the core was touched up as well. Still an interesting piece, though!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
              X