Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&L Showroom circa 1940/1?

Originally posted by regular122 View Post
    The S&L discussion in my thread was to explore when and where they were made and to establish them as more than mere junk, as they were made (and pretty well) by a well-known manufacturer of German decorations and badges. Nothing conclusive came of it other than all agreed post-war, post 1957 and up to the early 1980s. Beyond that, nothing to my knowledge has been discovered. Steve

Hi to all,

I have no idea if Steinhauer produced PlMs before 1945 - but I have the photographic proof that they sold them.
    I possess a group of photos from their show-room (early 1940's) - and there is a PlM on display.

Regards

jaeger7-de

Originally posted by jaeger7-de View Post
    Hi to all,

I have no idea if Steinhauer produced PlMs before 1945 - but I have the photographic proof that they sold them.
    I possess a group of photos from their show-room (early 1940's) - and there is a PlM on display.

Regards

jaeger7-de
    Hello

Could you please post the photos, as I'm sure that many of us would be very interested in seeing these.

Many thanks.

Regards
    David

Comment

Hi to all,

Regards

jaeger7-de

If those photos show a man wearing a "sport coat", not a suit, with a sweater underneath and what look like sport or driving trophies behind him, those photos were taken during the 1960's. There is a PlM in the photo. Those photos or ones very much like them have been posted on-line before.

The hair style, clothes, and the type of trophies are all typical of how people dressed in the late 1950's and early 1960's, not pre-1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
        If those photos show a man wearing a "sport coat", .....

No, mine are pre-45 pics.

And again no, at the moment I would prefer not to post them on the internet, as they might be a part of a publication to come.

Sorry

jaeger7-de

Comment

Good luck with that. A PlM in a showroom does NOT mean they produced them. It was common practice to have a complete display of all awards in a showroom whether you made them or not. Cross selling of other manufacturers was the rule.

Maybe you should vet those photos before you possibly embarrass yourself in an upcoming publication.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S View Post
            Good luck with that. A PlM in a showroom does NOT mean they produced them. .

Sometimes live is so much easier if I read a complete post before I comment on it...

I wrote:

"I have no idea if Steinhauer produced PlMs before 1945 - but I have the photographic proof that they sold them. "

Regards

jaeger7-de

Comment

Hi jaeger7-de,

Is the image of the showroom PlM of sufficient size or clarity to judge if it has a pie slice or baroque style suspension? Can you get any take on the eagles' legs?

Comment

Sometimes live is so much easier if I read a complete post before I comment on it...

I wrote:

"I have no idea if Steinhauer produced PlMs before 1945 - but I have the photographic proof that they sold them. "

Regards

jaeger7-de
                My apologies. Days go by between posts and as much as I try to hang on every word of this thread, the details drop with the hours. Thank you. I have no doubt SL had PlMs in their storerooms. We already know Wagner PlM was sold by at least one other seller who put initials on the object, so why not?

...and frankly and seriously, "no I don't want to share, buy the book". That just makes me a little less inclined to think I'm posting with someone who understands the spirit of the forum.

But good luck, I"m sure when you get the book published and post your advertisement here the members will scramble to get their credit cards swiped to your credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S View Post
                  ...and frankly and seriously, "no I don't want to share, buy the book". That just makes me a little less inclined to think I'm posting with someone who understands the spirit of the forum.
                  Okay, I got your point - and here is one of five pics from the showroom and a detail of the PlM.

Regards

jaeger7-de

Comment

Very nice. WWII? Is that Goring on the wall? And Hitler on the other side?

Is that the absolute best you can do on the PLM detail? At quick glance it's not a Godet, but what is it?

Question, how do you know it's S&L?
                    Last edited by Brian S; 02-03-2010, 11:21 AM.

Comment

That is the best my scanner will do on the PlM - the cross is just 4 mm in the original picture...

I know it is Steinhauer because in the other pictures is their name large painted across the wall.

jaeger7-de

Comment

In 1939, S&L printed a catalog of items the firm was offering. The catalog appears to have been printed before the war, because no WWII medals were in there.

In the catalog, there are two WWI era flying badges: the Prussian pilot and Prussian observer's badge. In the photograph, the second case from the left and next to the stool, is a glass case full of what look like Imperial aviation badges. There are far more badges in that case than there were types of flying badges authorized during the Imperial era. I'll let the readers think about what that could mean.

MY first impression on realizing there were so many aviation badges from WWI, is whether this is/was a collector's collection or something from a museum or other private or public display.

Elsewhere in the photos, there are other Imperial era medals not seen in the 1939 catalog. In the enlarged photo of the PlM, to the upper left hand corner is a colonial medal for China, and not in the 1939 catalog. If S&L made these after 1939, would they have marked them, particularly after LDO regulations came into effect which were required on -all- medals produced after 1941?

There are other little details that suggest these were not all made by S&L, although as Jaeger7-de has said, may only have been offered by S&L.

The ribbon on the PlM seems much wider than it should be. The medal itself is clearly not a Godet pie-wedge type, and resembles the Wagner type. I'll wait until the inevitable photographic comparisons are made before commenting on what the situational might be.

The photos will raise more questions than answering them.

Comment

Jaeger,

What a marvelous photo! Thank you for posting it here.

I haven't much to add to the debate about the PLM, but I do love the photo.
                          Best regards,
                          Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                            The photos will raise more questions than answering them.
                            Maybe so, but that certainly is an impressive picture.

Thank you for sharing it with us

Wild Card

Comment

Another big THANK YOU! to jaeger7-de, spectacular image. (Wish I could tell Brian that is MY collection!)

Les--are those flight badges perhaps a variety of available metals/finishes, as one might seek from a jeweler based on budget? Any proliferation of flight badges 1920-40 in the era of rise of civilian (and clandestine proto-Luftwaffe) aviation which may be represented as well--and might help date the image reliably?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X